* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Facebook post boosting?

I've just gone and spent a tiny $5 to boost one of my product's Facebook's posts for 5 days.  Apparently it will reach between 2000 and 5000 people in Australia.

While I wait to see what happens, has anyone here done this before?  What were the results?  Or did I just waste $5?  LOL!  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, February 28, 2015

Andy Brice Send private email

Hmm, but this is post-boosting, not advertising as such.  Or is that the same concept?  I don't know.  I checked the stats and so far Facebook says 171 people have seen my post.  That's 171 eyes that previously didn't know about it my website and product.  IMO, that can only be a good thing.

The stats:

http://i.imgur.com/iW3maC2.png

As your report was from 2010 (5 years ago), it's probably good to see an updated test like this anyway.

Just saw that the post on my Facebook page now says "177 people reached", with "5 organic" and "172 paid".  What does that mean?

If you're doing B2B, Facebook will likely be a complete failure (that is my experience and the experience I read about).

If you're selling to consumers, and if your app is sort of fun, then it might do OK.

Just remember, when people are on Facebook, they are in "waste time" mode -- not looking to be productive or work.
Doug Send private email

You've been around here long enough to know the answer is "it depends, so measure it"

And measuring is not the number of impressions! Its some sort of conversion tracking.

"171 people have seen my post ... That's 171 eyes that previously didn't know about it my website and product. "

Erm - no. That means that it's been on a page that 171 people have quickly scanned through - it tells you nothing about how many actually looked at it.

I've genuinely can't remember noticing a single Facebook advert (or most others for that matter).
Ryan Wheeler Send private email
Monday, March 02, 2015

So I deleted a screenshot of my app from Facebook because I wanted to replace it with a new one, and got a message saying it'll cancel my current campaign, but I clicked OK without thinking, so the campaign cancelled before I could save the stats.

I doubt it did anything anyway.  No website logs don't show any referring links from Facebook that I can say came from the boosting.

Now the funny part: Facebook's billing says I owe the $5, so I clicked "Pay Now" and get an error that I can't make payments under $13.  Ho, ho, ho.  I agreed to a $5 campaign and now you want another $8?  Good luck with that, Facebook.  Just charge my card for $5 like you're supposed to, okay?
Friday, March 06, 2015

[Typo:  *My* website logs...].
Friday, March 06, 2015

Update: After trying to take their $5 from my card 4 times, I had to add PayPal as another payment method, and it was accepted immediately.  Stupid.

The stats are now visible too, and apparently 1189 people saw my post about my product.  Was it worth $5?  Who knows, but I suppose it's good that over a thousand new eyes became at least aware of my product?  I should've had a coupon code in the post for a discount, so anyone buying could've quoted it and then I'd know the ad was working.

Might try that next week, actually.
Saturday, March 07, 2015

How stupid is this:

http://i.imgur.com/geAKdQU.png

Facebook must be in bed with PayPal.
Saturday, March 07, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics