* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Prices in Euro

Did you increase prices in EURO? I have fixed prices in USD and EUR. In February I get on 10% less than a year ago, because EURO falls and after conversion to USD I get less.

On other hand my customers may start complain on increased prices.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Friday, February 13, 2015
If you have a reasonable number of customers I suggest you do some A/B testing. Show some visitors to your web site the higher price and see what happens to the conversion rate, does it go down or up?

What payment processor are you using? If you can tweak the exchange rate from USD -> Euros those customers in the eurozone may not have the perception that they are being charged more as you are only talking about 10% which is likely to be 1 or 2 euros for most software products
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Saturday, February 14, 2015
Are you segmenting your market as Joel says in his "Camels and Rubber Duckies" article?

I have also used the ratio of sales of standard vs premium editions to decide on price changes - you can look at the absolute figure, compare the ratios between US and Euro markets and also graph the ratio over time.

But definitely do the A/B testing as the answer depends on your product, your position in the market, your competitors etc as much as the relative strengths of the US and Eurozone economies.
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Saturday, February 14, 2015

Thanks for your advices!

We have two editions of my product.

My problem in a fact that A/B testing is not suitable for me, because I have a large community of users which help me to promote our product. I must be very carefuly with any price changes.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Monday, February 16, 2015
We used to change our Euro prices after each substantial change in exchange rates and had no complaints. Then we decided it is too much trouble and dropped Euro prices altogether - again, no customer complaints.

But if you do not want to risk offending your existing customers, don't. Let them continue paying the same amounts in the same currency for upgrades, maintenance contract extensions, and extra licenses. Only change prices for new customers.

That said, what are you going to do if the USD/EUR rate goes the other way in a year or two? Over the course of ten years it oscillated between 1.1 and 1.5 multiple times:

Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Relevant: I've increased my hourly rate in EUR - for the same client, ongoing project...
exim Send private email
Friday, February 20, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics