* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Search engine spammer: un-install.info

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this bogus website? (un-install.info) It apparently spams Google's search results with a dynamic page that gives uninstall instructions for whatever software is searched. The problem with the site is that the instructions and reasons for following them are generic, and in some cases, dead wrong and/or plain stupid.

Example text from the site:

"Many users have difficulties and problems away from the computer."

It actually says that.

"It seems that there are many users who have difficulty in uninstalling software like _____ from the system."

Nobody is uninstalling my software so no one is "having difficulty." I know they're not uninstalling it because that process is monitored.

"The .dll, .sys or other files shared with other software are deleted"

My software doesn't use .dlls or .sys or shared files.

"_____ does not appear in the program list of Add/Remove Programs."

Lies, lies, and more lies among more lies.

This is annoying and I've contacted Google about it. I advise everyone who's not familiar with this b.s. website to see if their software is a victim of the same. In the meantime, is there anything I can do?

Nicole Miller Send private email
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Does that webpage show up on the first page when users search for your product name?
Zka Send private email
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
My app is now listed at ShouldIRemoveIt.com, even though it's only been out since January 10.  It's on the second page of Google results, so I don't know whether to be worried or not.  Or just add a blog page to my website that talks about this sort of BS.  More likely I'll do a blog soon.
PSB136 Send private email
I just reported the page here:

Hopefully Google will remove it from their search results.
Typo above, I meant I reported it here:

I dare not to search for my product on any of these sites. That would guarantee inclusion I guess.
Zka Send private email
There have always been and will always be scumbags trying to make a buck off someone else's hard work.  I would try not to worry about it, unless you are sure it is hurting your bottom line.
Andy Brice Send private email
@PBS136 I get that you're annoyed at these bottom feeders - but why report that as a phishing site when its clearly not? I can't imagine that Google would take any notice of that.
Ryan Wheeler Send private email
It's a site mispresenting my product.  It's making out that the app needs external help in being removed.  It's a lie.
From their website:

"<their app> is powerful Windows application that helps users, both technical and non technical, decide what programs they should remove from their PC. This typically includes finding and removing all sorts of crapware and bloatware such as adware, spyware, toolbars, bundled unwanted applications as well as many forms of malware."

So, they're lumping my app into the category of crapware, bloatware, et al.  They can get knotted.
@Zka, yes. The site shows up as #3. Right above the link to my own website.
Nicole Miller Send private email
Then I can see that being a problem.
Zka Send private email
Hopefully Google will eventually delete them from the index, but I am not sure what you can do to hasten the process.
Andy Brice Send private email
I recently noticed my app on there, same boiler-plate.
It is irritating - especially the unfounded claims ("...difficulty uninstalling..."). I wonder if this claim in itself would be sufficient for a cease-and-desist letter? It's obviously identical text for every application, and arguably defamatory. I could certainly imagine it putting off naive users, of which I have plenty.
Anon123 Send private email
Saturday, January 31, 2015
My two apps are now shown on at www.advanceduninstaller.com too.  That page details which folder my apps install to, and what the name of the exe is to uninstall it (unins000.exe).

The joke's on them now, though, because I've removed the Setup.exe versions of my apps and only host my portable zip versions now, as I mentioned in this thread:

Hopefully people will start wondering why that website has instructions for my apps, when my apps don't get installed now in the first place.  :)
Sunday, February 01, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics