* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Submitting to download sites in 2015

Back in the day, everyone used to post PAD files so their (downloadable) software would be listed on download sites, such a Tucows and download.com. IMHO it was a sensible thing to do in 2005 if you had a $30 try-before-you-buy Windows or Mac application. If nothing else, you got lots of lovely backlinks. Also it made it harder to find cracks as the sites SEO'd for terms such as 'crack' and 'torrent'.

But Google has made these sites increasingly irrelevant. Also the standardization of PAD files meant that anyone could set up a fully automated download site with very little effort. The competition from Google and the vast number of download sites meant that they had to resort to ever more desparate measure to make a buck:
-deceptive downloads buttons
-fake awards
-bundling malware (such as Babylon toolbar)
etc

Most of the download sites are now festering dungheaps covered in ads and engaged in various dubious practises. Is it worth submitting your Windows software to any of these sites in 2015? I worry that some of them are so dodgy that Google will penalize the backlinks. Also I hate the idea of people wrapping my installer to bundle malware.

I haven't submitted Hyper Plan to any download sites so far. I am considering just submitting it to a few of the higher quality Mac sites, such as http://www.macupdate.com .

Has anyone got or seen any data or analysis on this? Did you submit yours? If so, where? Have you got any traffic?
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, January 26, 2015

I recently submitted to MajorGeeks and Softpedia, and also Download.com but asked them to NOT use their Installer, and they complied.  Didn't do the PAD thing this time as it's a nightmare.  Don't know if I just had a good app or got lucky or what, but I made 3 sales in the first week from these submissions.
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I released my software in 2013. I submitted everywhere where RoboSoft was able to submit. That was about 100 sites. RoboSoft submitted to like 300 places but most were down or disfunctional.

Not sure if it has any adverse effects on my rankings, my site went to the top of google for relevant keywords in ~2 months. Mind that my keywords are niche, between 5-500 searches per month globally. I guess I would not have shoot to the top if my keywords were anything competitive.

Traffic from dl sites does not happen. People are not using these sites. Download.com and Softpedia still have some worth, but the rest are junk. Something like 5% of my downloads can be tracked back to these sites and these are not well targeted downloads (that means subpar conversion rate).

If you're ranking well already without the DL sites, I think there is no use wasting your time and risking your ranks with submissions.
Zka Send private email

>If you're ranking well already without the DL sites, I think there is no use wasting your time and risking your ranks with submissions.

The hyperplan.com website is pretty new and doesn't haven't a lof content (yet) so organic traffic is pretty low.

Did Download.com or Softpedia wrap your installer?

Dl.com wrapped it, tbh I don't care much.
Softpedia did not, so I can track individual downloads. The dl numbers reported on softpedia are not in touch with reality. I have less than 100 downloads with a softpedia referral, but they show some 2600 dls :)
Zka Send private email

Zka, you can ask Download.com to remove their Installer and they will -- they did for me.  And Softpedia didn't wrap my apps, either.
PSB136 Send private email

Interesting test on How To Geek the other day.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

I would personally not upload anything to these sites. A few extra downloads is not worth the bad review you will get due to the extra junk.
Adrian Lock Send private email
Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I saw that article previously. Ouch.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Great line at the end of that article:
"Because when the product is free the real product is YOU."
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Thursday, January 29, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics