* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Site Review Request Please!

Hi All,

After what seems like an eternity of testing and development, I have finally completed a new responsive HTTPS only website for my product 3D Box Shot Pro, tied in neatly with the release of the new version 4 of the software:

It’s a responsive site in the sense that it renders nicely on any device (or when you resize the browser window). Google now passively penalise non responsive sites in the SERPS. It’s also HTTPS everywhere (which Google rewards in the SERPS). So, following the whims of the internet police force, I was effectively forced down the route of a redesign.

Ideally, I’d like you to take the gloves off and rip the sites to pieces with constructive criticism.

One of things I’m trying to do with the site is to give the app some wider appeal as a tool for graphic designers to easily add 3D to their designs without having to learn complex 3D applications.

Many thanks in advance for any useful feedback or comments.

Kind Regards

Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, January 25, 2015
On my laptop's screen:  (1366x768 ThinkPad display; FF 35.0; Win7)

- the banner and navigation of your site is not visible until you scroll, which is off-putting for me. It just doesn't feel like good UX.

- The video is cut off at the top and the bottom; that is, it's too tall for my screen. Unpleasant.

- At first, I decided I didn't like the look of the site. Found it very grey and sterile and boring, other than the video. But only after I went back while writing this bullet point did I realize all of the content, much of which was more colorful and engaging, was below the fold. Had I not been writing a critique, I may have just clicked away and never saw that.

- I personally dislike silent videos. I also was pretty confused by the point about the blockhead guys, and that part felt like it went on for a really long time. I stopped about halfway through the video due to lack of interest. I think it could be a lot snappier and briefer.
Racky Send private email
Sunday, January 25, 2015
Hi Andrew

I went to the web site, clicked the "buy" button, which leads to your fastspring site, then I clicked on the "About" button and this is the result:

Clicking on the about, news, support etc links whether on the dynamic menu at the top or the links in the bottom right hand corner also lead to a 404 Not Found. You really need to do some basic testing on your site, at least go through every link and click it to see if it gives a 404 error.

I think those comments by Racky above are spot on, he made two really great posts today, nice work Racky. Do keep the navigation section available at all times. Did you know that on my regular sized monitor i need to click the scrollbar 5 times downwards in order to reach the "buy" button? What if I have tried your product and I now want to buy it and am coming to your page with the intention of buying - putting the navigation section at the top of the page all the time, and more importantly having a BUY link (c.f. pricing) at the top when I first load the page will make it easier for me to give you my money! I think you need to do some user testing, think of some fundamental things to do on the site (eg buy the product, eg download the trial) and ensure that those fundamental things are easy and intuitive to do by somebody with fresh eyes.

The best thing I like about your site is the example images (soft shadows, realistic reflections etc) which show me clearly and in an attractive way what the software does. They make it very inviting for a download.

Best of luck with your sales and your re-targeting more towards graphic designers - you should really consider doing a Macintosh version as all the designers I have worked with are Mac people.

Billy Thorpe Send private email
Sunday, January 25, 2015
I'm currently a happy customer and would like to know what's new in v4, but working from a client's premises (IB) the site is blocked:

Technical information:
URL: http://3d-box-shot.com/
URL Categories: Games
IP address:
Proxy: -
Technical: Standard Users - Block URLs where Category Is in Denied Standard with Exceptions
Marcus from London Send private email
Monday, January 26, 2015
Thanks for the responses so far.  I will definitely try and sort the navigation to keep it on screen the whole time.

Marcus, I'll be sending out the upgrade emails very soon.

Main new features in V4 are support for 128 models per scene, Auto Stacking, collision detection between models and copy and paste model functionality. The rendering engine has also be optimised so you can export a 67mega pixel image in a couple of seconds.

Monday, January 26, 2015
The animations don't do it all for me. I find them highly distracting from any message. It reminds me a little of my son's first attempts with Power Point. But then I am 49, so practically a dinosaur.
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, January 26, 2015
I'm not a massive fan of the the animations either. However, they do settle down once the page has loaded. I'll look into switching these off The biggest problem I'm having with the site is the impact of switching to SSL HTTPS everywhere.  IE and Firefox are happy with the Cert, but Chrome isn't.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
I've toned down the animations and after a bit of wrangling with my hosting company the SSL is now working.

Better now? https://www.3d-box-shot.com
Friday, January 30, 2015
Can't load the page from a (paranoid) corporate environment (IB):

This page can't be displayed
•Make sure the web address https://www.3d-box-shot.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.
•Make sure TLS and SSL protocols are enabled. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Settings > Security
Marcus from London Send private email
Wednesday, February 04, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics