* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

!#@!ing Google Chrome - "file.exe is not commonly downloaded"

Started getting this today from Chrome. No problem in IE 11 or FF latest:

"file.exe is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous."

Internet says:

- Check if installer is signed: signtool verify /pa file.msi/exe passes
 - Check if app exe is signed: ditto
 - Sign up with Google Webmaster: done that years ago OH WAIT NO I DIDNT THAT WAS THE NON-SSL VERSION.

Might as well leave this here for future idiots like me.
Bring back anon Send private email
Saturday, January 24, 2015

I can relate. Google told me today that hacker activity was detected coming from my router and I might be infected with a virus:

> Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later.

> This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.

> This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible.

Obviously I was greatly alarmed! I must be infected!

Fortunately my company router is configured to log all traffic.

I inspected that, expecting to find bizarre requests to russian web servers and saw... absolutely nothing abnormal.

Lesson learned - Google talks a lot of ****.
Scott Send private email

Hopefully the ominous warning is fixed by Monday... Otherwise people are gonna be pissed.

Just so everyone knows, this isn't new. I remember having this issue with my own software in (mid?) 2014. Nothing was ever done about it even after repeated emails. But I managed to solve the problem by uninstalling Chrome and using FireFox. :-0
Nicole Miller Send private email
Sunday, January 25, 2015

Everyone who has this problem and want to solve it, just drop me an email.

(I've been bumping my head in the wall for 4 months and even was ready to pay to random security experts from stopbadware, but none of them could help me, so finally I figured it out myself)
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Sunday, January 25, 2015

Why don't you just type what you learned here...
Sunday, January 25, 2015

What email address? The email on this forum doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'm having this exact issue and would really like it fixed!
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Monday, January 26, 2015

Host it on Google Drive and use the direct download links (you can generate them with this https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/)

For supporting the same thing with legacy download links (e.g. from download sites)
RewriteRule myfile.exe$ https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxf6yYIZ0CovbXpSbDZrSmljZFE
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Monday, January 26, 2015

Top tip! Many thanks for posting.

Cheers

Andrew
Monday, January 26, 2015

Atanas,

Do you happen to know if Google Drive has any download limits? I'm pretty sure I'm not likely to hit this problem as my product is rather niche, but it would be good to know.

The only thing I could find via Google was the following screen shot:

https://09517033375839581908.googlegroups.com/attach/7f1e543fb14a5514/bug.png?part=2&view=1&vt=ANaJVrHwgDuohDv6WZGO4qW62IFMSManiUQOnfl2qxgTx1kNpFJ1d_t74DqNpuqWR4CeAUDbs5ydp6BFaN069fDld_1MIiD2OcIrC58vPcGmDCdlWEVMHQ8

Kind Regards
Andrew
Monday, January 26, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics