* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Adwords went mad?

Just received an email from all-mighty Google that they suspended my adds for policy violations. When I started to ask questions, a chat support guy said that my downloads page doesn't have an Uninstall instructions and my contacts page doesn't have proper physical address of the company. It just doesn't make any sense. Amazing thing is that being their customer for so many years, paying regularly, they just slammed you criminal one days and put a label on you like "Unwanted Software".  Frankly I had no idea that one needs to have uninstall instructions on download page. Plain ridiculous, especially when you look at Chrome download page. There are no such instructions there. And since when the PO box and business registration ID is not good enough?
Dima Send private email
Friday, January 23, 2015
Actually, what set me off was the way it gets handled. It's not some kind of free service we are talking about. I am paying customer for years... not big, but still.., they gladly charge the credit card monthly.  Not a problem ever mentioned. 

I would expect that service provider would contact you and ask you to correct something if policies get changed. Instead they just kicks you off.. go figure. Still want to think it's a glitch...

And why on earth missing uninstall instructions become a reason to fire the customer.. They are mad.
Dima Send private email
Friday, January 23, 2015
Unfortanately this seems to be the way the world is moving - scalability by refusing to interact with anyone except programmatically.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, January 23, 2015
I went through the Google policy a couple of years back to try to make sure my site was compliant. I can't find the list of requirments now.

Surely you don't have to link to the uninstaller on the download page? Mac software doesn't even have an uninstaller!
Friday, January 23, 2015
Friday, January 23, 2015

"Uninstall information must be easily accessible, simple to perform, and clearly identifiable after the software has been installed. "

It doesn't say it has to be linked from the download page.
Friday, January 23, 2015
We obviously have uninstallers, in fact quite expensive commercial grade installer software used for packaging. I'd say one of the best of bread in the industry. 

I think it's some kind of pretext.. don't understand for what. They have actually suspended all the adds running in a middle of the day, out of the blue. And I'm not some newbie, the whole damn ad campaign was running for few years non stop with proper budget set and all that... Mad robots.
Dima Send private email
Friday, January 23, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics