* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Stack Exchange and its 133 communities raises $40m

"One of these days some of those villages will be big cities, so we’re committed to keeping them clean, and pulling the weeds, and helping them grow." -- Joel Spolsky

Hey guys, are you a contributor in one of the 133 communities running on Stack Exchange? What do you think about them? What would you change? Or is it already perfect? Do please discuss in this thread!

Li-fan Chen Send private email
Thursday, January 22, 2015
I like StackExchange for two things:
1) There are lots of good answers to simple questions.
2) It's very well indexed by Google.

I don't like StackExchange when trying to solve very subtle problems where you need a high-level of domain knowledge to even understand the problem.

I've seen too many questions (often the same question I want an answer to) where lots of people have up-voted answers which are answering something much simpler than what is actually being asked.

You then see a cycle of despair as the original poster tries to explain the question in a different way and then the people contributing to the thread realise they don't actually have the knowledge to answer it.

The incorrect answers on these threads swamp Google results and hinder my ability to find the correct answer elsewhere.

I don't know what the solution to this is.
Adrian Lock Send private email
Good post by Adrian.

I have similar observations.
Scott Send private email
For me the involvement of Andreessen Horowitz signals that the site will be grown as fast as possible in the next year or two with a big sale/IPO/cash out on the horizon after that.

I suspect that the site is maturing with most of the frequent and juicy questions now having been asked and answered. They probably want to cash out before the number of active users decreases (due to questions being less) and SE becomes one of the stale forums mentioned in Joel's post.
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Friday, January 23, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics