* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Windows 10, one store for everything?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I like Windows 7, but I didn't like 8 (or 8.1) at all. Hopefully 10 will be more like 7.

The Windows store just seems an irrelevance. I've never bought anything from it and I'm not aware that any mISVs have know have sold any decent volume of products through it.

I am surprised the Daily Mail didn't blame immigrants for the late shipping of Windows 10.
Andy Brice Send private email

I've got 'try and get my software into the Windows Store' on the to-do list. I'm still uncertain whether I can do that with my cheapo Comodo signed installer though.
The store seems to have cleaned up it's act a little bit since that outcry over fake software last year.
DV Send private email

" I dislike it already "
Isn't that a Churchill quote? "I disliked him immediately. I found it saved time."

DV,
I've intentionally decided to steered clear of the Windows store for the (low) price expectancy it applies.

Cheers -
Marcus from London Send private email

I just want to know, what the hell happened to Windows 9?
Demoneye Send private email

What happened to windows 9?

Well ....

if (version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 and OH DOH! */ }
else
{ /* A NT based version... maybe */ }

Think not? Follow the code search in this post.

https://plus.google.com/u/1/+ThisiswhyicodeBlogspot/posts/8Urp3G2pDwX
Ryan Wheeler Send private email

I've read that Windows 10 will be free for 7 and 8 users.  I may try it if that's the case.
PSB136 Send private email

The current store is a disaster I know, but if they are serious about one store for Xbox games, mobile apps and desktop software?

That sounds a bit more serious than the current mess,

Regarding the free upgrade, nothing is free. Strikes me that they want to push us onto a cloud-based "service" rather than an OS, with all the downsides for the end-user that entails.

I dislike 8.1 but have modified it enough to use. I'll be reluctant to change again, especially for some rented service they control remotely.

You'd never get people to willingly jump from Windows 7 to some rented service thing. Let me adjust my tinfoil hat... Did they make Windows 8 so freaking awful on purpose, so people will gladly jump onto a rented OS to get away from it?

AC
Thursday, January 22, 2015

I will definitely *try* it, but may not *keep* it.  ;)

Most consumer PCs today come without discs, so impossible to go backwards.

AC

From some of the more murky clarification they've done it's free for a year in that up to a year from release you can upgrade Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.x  devices and PCs for free. After that year the price has yet to be determined. After upgrading further updates (which will include new features as well as fixes) are free for the life of the device.

From the Windows 10 Blog "We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet."

So what it sounds like to me they're going for once you have Windows 10 there's no more 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 ... Just Windows 10. (Enterprise user will still be able restrict and control updates.)

The as a service seems to be them pushing it as you just have Windows and don't worry about versions similar too using websites/apps without worrying about the version.

For developers I can see it maybe having API versions that you write against for some things in order to know what you can target.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

It seems they're making this update to 10 a "golden" edition: no subscription charge for the life of the device. They take a financial hit but get lot's of people up to the latest version. That will make 10 the most popular version.

I'm guessing that after the free upgrade period all new devices will pay for an annual Windows subscription. It's a clever way to get people to transition to the subscription model for Windows.
Oh to be anon again! Send private email

As for as the store if it goes from being a tech flea market to a clean mall that targets all things Windows then I think it may work.

I personally think all app stores a really poor for discover-ability, but they all do one thing very well. That is app availability. They make it very easy for users to install/update applications and you don't have to worry about the amount of bandwidth your app downloads consume. Pricing now is a different complicated subjected.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

"I'm guessing that after the free upgrade period all new devices will pay for an annual Windows subscription."

That's what I'm guessing too, which is why I'm going to be a stubborn old fossil and resist it.

AC

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics