* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Publish list of customers on a website without asking them?

Hello,
I have 142 customers, and I want to publish list of them on my website. I signed NDA with only one of them. EULA of my product does not say anything about such publishing. My question is - can I publish customers' company names? Or do I need to ask every one individually?  Another option is to change EULA and publish only new customers
S3 Send private email
Wednesday, January 07, 2015

It is always going to better to ask for permission, as apart from anything else it gives you an opportunity to see how things are going, get valuable feedback and maybe even get more sales.

I know some people say it is better to apologise than ask permission, but in this case it can potentially backfire badly.

As a side note, simply modifying your EULA terms won't help as nobody actually reads them.
Scorpio Send private email

Over the past 10+ years, I've had exactly 3 customers tell me explicitly before the sale that I could not use their name anywhere.  So I didn't.

Of those few that I asked permission from, they all said yes unless they asked their corporate lawyers, in which case the answer was always no.  Usually those were the bigger companies that you want to showcase most, and the lawyers are trained to say no to almost all requests.

So I'm now in the camp of showing their company and logo unless they ask me not to.  I'll remove it in 5 minutes if they ask.  Nobody has asked in 10 years.
Doug Send private email

I would make sure when you want to name a large company as your customer that it wasn't just some single user at that company buying it as his own personal productivity tool.
Cidtek Send private email

That's a good point.  I suspect no large company uses any software company wide other than maybe Microsoft Office.  So in most cases your product is getting used at the level of: personal, department, or division.

So at what point can you say Company XYZ uses your software, whether given permission or not?
Doug Send private email

Thank you for your answers, I decided not to publish their names. I still have sales without this "list of customers with logos"
S3 Send private email

It might be very interesting to do some A/B testing with a few selected logos to see if it improves your conversion!

The general advice is that these logos and badges such as "software awards" give customers more confidence to buy, however I have never seen any hard data on how much it exactly improves sales.

Has anybody on the forum measured the success of logos?

Billy
Billy Thorpe Send private email

"So at what point can you say Company XYZ uses your software, whether given permission or not? "

If the license is in the company name then it's safe to say they are your customer.
Cidtek Send private email

Hiya Billy.

If you're referring to the "Software Awards" type logos, this may shed some light:

http://successfulsoftware.net/2007/08/16/the-software-awards-scam/

As to *actual* customer logos, I can't point you to any hard data but I understand that it does help, particularly from the perspective of credibility and social proof.

Cheers -
Marcus from London Send private email
Thursday, January 08, 2015

Yes, in split tests the logos of large, well-known companies can boost sales.

After all, those companies work hard and spend a fortune for that logo recognition; it's valuable, and thus  companies will indeed default to "No." if you ask.

However if you ask if you can simply use their NAME, without using their logo (inc any font they usually use for their name) then they are far more likely to agree.

A far better option is to present some case studies. If you can present the company in a good light they are more likely to agree AND you get to show and sell your product better.  For a good case study you don't need a well-known company for great results.

Note a case study can be anything from a single paragraph to a 20 page PDF.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, January 09, 2015

I just asked one big and well-known customer - they agreed to put logo and company name. Will ask others
S3 Send private email
Friday, January 09, 2015

@S3:  Make sure you have that in writing.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, January 10, 2015

>Has anybody on the forum measured the success of logos?

Yes. An A/B test showed a significant increase in conversion rate.
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, January 11, 2015

I asked few active customers who are getting support, and most of them replied "yes", some of them even attached logo. Hoping to get more sales with this list and with better website design.

Thank you all for advice
S3 Send private email
Monday, January 12, 2015

It's a way for your customers to benefit from links from your site.

Take it the next step... will they be a refernce?  Will they let you write a case study about them?

It's always best to ask permission. But the larger the company, the less likely they are to even care or bother to follow up about it.  If you think it it will help a lot, then I would go ahead and list them even without permission. But again.... asking is always best because it helps you establish a relationship.
Demoneye Send private email
Wednesday, January 21, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics