* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Where to submit software?

Hi,

I've made a few utilities for IP and USB camera capture and would like to get the listed somewhere. What would you recommend?

IP Camera Viewer - http://www.ipcamerastudio.com/viewer.html
IP Camera Recorder - http://www.ipcamerastudio.com/recorder.html
Webcam Viewer - http://www.ipcamerastudio.com/webcam-viewer.html
Webcam Recorder - http://www.ipcamerastudio.com/webcam-recorder.html

How would you promote software like this?

Thanks,
- Alex.
AlexC Send private email
Saturday, December 27, 2014

You've got the right idea with freemium. As you're targeting consumers, SEO is your first stop. Submitting to download sites will handicap your SEO efforts since they will pollute your results.
Bring back anon Send private email
Sunday, December 28, 2014

I have a friend who makes ipcamera software. His main market is small business owners, eg restaurant owners who want to be sitting in their office watching their business (eg that the employees are working, what the customers are doing) and another eg. in the case of a business with more than one shop and the owner wants to keep an eye on the mutliple locations.

The only trouble with this market is that the small businessmen are very tight (they do not like to spend money) so it is a tough market, also most of the sales my friend makes are from cold calling small businesses and word of mouth, but not the internet, and he reports that there is alot of competition in this market.

Apparently, the basic viewing and recording is a tough business to be in because there is so much competition. Not sure that you could do enough SEO to get high up on the search results due to the competition.

Apparently some clients like to keep and store the video which quickly becomes larger than a hard drive can store, with this you can develop the software to push video to your own cloud servers and thereby charge a monthly recurring fee, but you need to change the software to be able to easily scan and playback video from eg last week. but apparently even with this is it not a great business to be in.

Finally, my friend made a large sale with a pretty big security company, they had ipcamera software but it didnt do what they wanted so he was able to tailor his software to their needs.

I didnt answer your question but i hope this gives you some ideas!
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hi Alex, I got the same problem as you have few years ago. I searched google for "submit PAD" and submitted my .PAD file to about 100 web sites. If you don't know, PAD is an XML file which is processed by software listing websites.  After having my PAD submitted and available on my website, I got more and more crawlers getting this file and placing it to download websites automatically. Some software listing websites make links to my page which is indexed by google. I can tell you details if something is not clear
S3 Send private email
Monday, December 29, 2014

If you create a pad file, do not simply copy the info from your website and paste into the pad. It's important to keep your website content unique from the hundrds of sites that will copy the content in your pad file.
Demoneye Send private email
Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I skipped the horrible PAD dance and just submitted to MajorGeeks initially. Within one week I had 3 sales.  I've since submitted to Softpedia and Download.com, but that's it for now.  I asked Download.com to not bundle my app with their installer, and they complied quickly.

I tried submitting to Softonic but that was a nightmare.  They didn't like my screenshot size and trying to get it resolved was too much hassle.  In the end I just deleted my account with them.  It just wasn't worth the aggro.

One advertising tactic I'm trying is having my username as my website URL on various forums, so that when I post, people may get curious and go there to see what it's about.  Time will tell if this pays off.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, January 22, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics