* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Creating New UI

I have a desktop application with a one-time fee payment and I want to create a similar application targeted at another niche with a different pricing model and features.

I'm planning on create a new UI from scratch for the new app because of the following reasons:

1. I don't want to make it look like the existing one.
2. It will have a different pricing model.
3. The pricing will have a additional monthly fee.

Is this a reasonable way to set thing up?
Denise Thompson Send private email
Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sounds reasonable to me.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, December 18, 2014

@Scott - I was confused but I'm getting a clearer picture now. I appreciate your reply.

Thank you.
Denise Thompson Send private email
Friday, December 19, 2014

If you have time/budget to create a new UI, you should as it is likely that there'll be some things you'd like to improve or do differently.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, December 19, 2014

If it is a WPF application based on MVVM, you can only change your views (XAML code) and not rewrite the logic.
S3 Send private email
Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I worked at a company that did exactly this, put a different UI on an existing engine, with different features so that it would not be competing with the original software. Unfortunately we went ahead and coded it without checking whether users actually wanted or needed the new software. It did not sell very well, only a couple of thousand dollars of sales, but ALOT of resources went into it, even if the engine was the same, the polish you need to put into software takes alot it time - so it made a good loss.

I would recommend that you treat the new UI/niche as a new product and do some or all of the basic stuff you would do with a new product, like ensuring the niche actually exists, that the users are willing to pay for the software, that they want the features in the new UI etc
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Friday, December 26, 2014

I don't know your niche, but how many of your current users will know about second software?
If the niche is absolutelly different, it means no one will know both your software. And in this case doing of a new UI in waste of time for you. Do it if:
1) You plan to sell second software to the same auditory #1 software has
2) If you IMPROOVE the UI

--
Regards, Roman Rudnik.
  http://www.IconDesignLAB.com - Icon Design + websites, logotypes, skins, other...
  Promotion! Refer a customer – earn the money! Details: http://j.mp/nc-en
  http://jetScreenshot.com - a must have for every shareware author
Roman Rudnik Send private email
Thursday, January 08, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics