* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Project about binary codes and canvases

Hello and sorry for intruding.

I just launched a kickstarter project about binary codes and paintings and I would love your feedback and help to have it funded.

I thank you very much!

cristi t Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2014
Looks like quite a nice idea. Certainly better than some I've seen on Kickstarter recently. 

You need more images on you page. As it's a very visual product you need to showcase far more examples.  Also your sales pitch seems a little bit weedy. Show some images of the canvas mounted on walls in nice living spaces.

Also make some more reward levels. You need to ship internationally if  you're hoping to go viral with this. As it stand at the moment I wouldn't back it as I'm based in the UK.

Where are the digital download rewards? I.E give backers a high res .png file they can download. Basically, the core idea seems solid, you just need to amp up the marketing by a factor of 10.

Andrew Gibson Send private email
Thanks so much!
All your suggestions are very good. I guess it shows that I am no marketer whatsoever. And thanks for pointing out the shippment mistake, I ship internationally (shipping costs included in that price) and just changed the page  to reflect that.
I think it might be interesting to a few people, but I find it wierd that the left bit is always off and the second bit is always on. I get that's because of the ASCII encoding, but it just looks odd. Also, the demo website forces everything to be uppercase, which sets bit 6.

Just thinking out loud. I like the idea, but I just feel it needs more to really be a great success.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

you.  Now I just

have to think of a word.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Hi Scorpio,

You are right. All characters are transformed into uppercase.
The idea behind was to paintings with unique words (strings)
Forcing everything to uppercase allows for that uniqueness.

Sure thing, if one wants their word to not follow that rule, it can be done just by contacting me before I start painting it.

Thanks so much!!
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for backing my project on kickstarter!
And I can't wait to put the word you'll chose, on canvas, in binary :)
I just have to think positive and hope the project will be funded.

"Forcing everything to uppercase allows for that uniqueness."

No, I think forcing uppercase makes the words less unique. For me, most words will likely be proper nouns, i.e. names, so they'd have a capital first letter, then lowercase remainder. This would allow a slight variation in the pattern, rather than having the first two bits always the same. Really, you are painting eight bits, but using just five (six if you use numbers, etc).

Anyway, that is just IMHO, YMMV, etc and I wish you well in your quest.
Scorpio Send private email
I understand what you are saying and you have a good point.
It's a line of code to remove the conversion to the uppercase, but by doing that the system will allow any word to be spelled in any way:
so i for the word "code" for example, there will be code, Code, CODE, cOde etc etc.

Also, for all uppercase and lowercase characters the first two bits are 0 and 1, so the first two columns will not change even if I will allow lower case characters.

In any case, thank you very much for your input, i do appreciate it :)

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics