* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

ASP.Net MVC SAAS Kit Framework (Any interest?) Feedback needed.

Hi Guys,

I'm developing a full on flexible SAAS implementation kit (ASP.Net MVC SAAS Kit), for my own use, as well as possibly thinking of polishing it and releasing as a complete commercial product so other developers can use it to jump start their SAAS products without having to think about the identity membership, billing, sub users, user profiles, account upgrades, packages, etc..  The basics that every single online web app or service (SAAS) needs.

You would just worry about building the actual software business logic and get to the market quicker.

Let me know if you are interested in such a framework to use as a starting point for your SAAS projects.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Hi NGOTB,

What would this offer beyond what could be achieved with Drupal / Joomla / WordPress (with appropriate plug-ins)?

Regards -
Marcus from London Send private email
Tuesday, December 09, 2014

I'm building it around the new ASP.Net MVC 5 Identity
Its for .Net developers who want to put up a SAAS product.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I tried to PM you, but the PM link appears to be broken - redirects to the home page.
DarrenD Send private email
Friday, December 12, 2014

Hi,

It seems to be broken for all the mail links on the forum page.  Probably a glitch.

Can you post it here as a reply?
Sunday, December 14, 2014

I have just built a "Full On" SAAS .... and yes a Framework would have been useful!

However I'm not sure I'd ever trust a commercial one ... it would have to be fully open sourced.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I'm thinking of it being commercial, however, you would purchase the source code, and can see all the code and use as a base to start your saas project.  So you only worry about building the actual code functionality of your app instead of worrying about the stuff that any and every webapp / saas should include.

How many hours of work did you spend on the extra saas implementation that's not related to the core functionality of your saas offering.  (e.g. billing, user management, profiles, etc..)
Tuesday, December 16, 2014

How much time/money was spent on the SAAS framework as opposed to the "app"?

I'd say 50% of the initial costs ( which were  3 months of my time + $15k of "hired in help" ).

However selling a "Framework" is a big task.  You are asking me to base my whole application from on your work. 

Will you be still in business in 3 years time? How much effort will I have to invest in learning your framework?  Will you keep it up to date?  Will it be flexible enough or just get in the way?

A framework is a hard sell.  That's why it's only the Microsofts, Googles of this world who are generally the only people successful with them. 

And the trend is very much for "IT Software Infrastructure" to be free and open ... for these very reasons.

Another approach you could consider is selling plug-in modules that do certain SAAS functions ( billing, tenant subscription, etc etc ). 

So that instead of having to go "All-in" with a framework your customers would have the option just to buy and use what they want or needed.

The advantage of this is that a) you get to write smaller bits of code .. and therefore get to market quicker.
b) your customer doesn't have to overcome the high barrier that adopting a 3rd party framework is.

Just my thoughts.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hi,
I agree with all, even if it is free and not open-source, I would not use it. If it open-source, I'd only take a look and take some parts of it.

>identity membership, billing, sub users, user profiles, account upgrades, packages, etc..
these things are not hard to do. very easy. it can take about one day for me to get an initial working version
S3 Send private email
Tuesday, December 30, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics