* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Reseller Process

I  have for years followed the advice to not give resellers a discount other than our standard volume discount and they always buy. But what I do not like is when a reseller does not identify the end user to me. Usually when I ask I never get a reply. Sometimes the reseller never contacts me at all -I just see the order come in. My EULA states that it is a violation of the agreement to resell or distribute the software without written permission. I also have a clearly stated reseller process on my order page.

So now a big reseller asked for a price quote for multiple licenses, which I gave to them along with instructions on how to get licenses with the name of the end-user encrypted in the licenses instead of the name on the credit card. They failed to follow the instructions, placed the order and have come back asking for replacement licenses. I guess I have to suck it up and do as they ask or risk a refund request.

I welcome any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future. But I fear that the reality is most of these so-called "resellers" just follow THEIR process and ignore the vendor, especially if the vendor is a mISV. I guess one solution is to issue temporary licenses that are replaced within n days with permanent licenses.
But I would have to do that for everyone and that places an unnecessary burden on all customers.
Bill Anonomist Send private email
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
We sell through the big resellers, as well as mid-size and small resellers, and this is very rarely an issue for us.

On all of our quotes to resellers, we put big text saying that end user details have to be supplied at the time of ordering, and also reiterate that in the emails that go out with the quotes. That seems to be enough for us 99% of the time.

In the rare situation where they don't supply the details when ordering, we ask for them and sit on the PO until we get them.
Cocowalla Send private email
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Say end-users won't receive support unless they are in your database, and you'd reflect all their blame to the reseller.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, December 09, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics