* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Moving a website nad SEO

I am moving a businesses website that is hosted at homestead.com.  As you can't just move a website from homestead /Sitebuilder I am having to re-create it so it can be moved to another more friendly hosting company. 

As this is a website for a hunting plantation this is the season for them to do most of their business and they depend on people to find them via the web. 

I feel pretty certain that the recreation of the site will cause SEO problems but if this was a non-Sitebuilder website would just moving it also cause SEO problems?

I am leaning toward leaving it as is until after their season ends.  Would like you guys input.

Thanks,
TD
TD Send private email
Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Omigod, Homestead?! That thing still exists?

Must literally be something like 20 years ago I built my first site with them... and yeah, they make it difficult to move hosts.

Regarding SEO, there is no logical reason for it to suffer, if you simply replicate the site and maintain the same domain...

Ah.

Is it currently a homestead/something else URL? Or do the owners have their own domain? If their own domain then the SE juice should follow without problem.

Can you not use a scraper or something like... like... like the software I had and then un-installed because they pestered for an update and then wanted money for it... Damn that pisses me off.. Hang on..

'Capturesaver'

That can capture each page as a full HTML document. Should be plenty of other options for doing the same, then simply uploading it to the new host?

Normally of course this would be no issue but I know Homestead don't exactly give you CPanel access or conventional FTP. Anyway, the point is, if you can download the site just as it is, and point the domain nameservers to the new host, then it should have zero effect on SEO.

IF however, all their incoming links are based on an URL with "homestead.com" in it, then you're somewhat screwed. Get a real domain and do this next year, I guess?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, November 25, 2014

If you're moving from one hosting to another but keeping the same domain and URLs then you shouldn't have any problems.

If you're keeping the same domain but the URLs for pages will changes, you'll need to do 301 redirects on the old pages so the SEO juice would get transferred.

If it's a new domain you'd also need 301 redirects on the old domain and pages. I'm not really sure how much of the SEO juiced would get transferred.
Jose Send private email
Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I recently re-designed and re-launched a site, domain stayed the same but all the pages (except the home page) had new URL's.  I did the whole 301 redirect thing (several hundred of them actually).  Things were peachy for a week and then almost all the redirected pages disappeared from the SERPS, which was rather scary (can you say 80% traffic drop).  A week after that though they all popped back up again.  Things are puttering along just fine now.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Wednesday, November 26, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics