* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

need your experience in using holidays in software promotion

Hello everyone!
Could you help me, guys? I am writing an article about the use of festive (holyday’s) marketing  by software developers.  Who has a good actual material for the qualitative article on this topic, please share. I need  examples  and statistics data. I need real information about  a serious software, games and web projects. All about the promotions  timed to holidays, which hold by you. How did you use the holidays for increasing sales? What and how did you do?  The holydays promotion, the special new design, the  discounts, quests and so on. Which the holidays were used, what was it looked,  and what was the result been? It may be  increasing of the customers or profit of sales in percentage. May be you can share the some pictures and/or numerals. I would be very grateful and research by the results of my work. If you have a some conditions , welcome, we ‘ll discuss. Thank you  in advance.
You can write me to rafalovska@gmail.com
Val.
Valentine Raf Send private email
Friday, November 14, 2014

I cannot give specifics because client's work. I can however say that often sales can be increased with special offers or "sales" - and all you need is an excuse.

Any excuse will do. Halloween Sale! Valentine's Day Sale! etc

With no excuse it's like this:

20%!

"Er.. why? Is it not popular? Were you ripping us off before? Why cheaper?"

But with an excuse:

Halloween sale! 20% off!

"Wahoo! I can save 20%!"

See the difference?

But again, no I can give any specifics, not even industries but yes, software, inc, surprisingly enough, B2B software. B2C more responsive, obviously. It's their money.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, November 17, 2014

People seem to respond to a reason.  ANY reason.

In Cialdini's book (Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion) he cites a case study of having someone trying to jump the cue of a photocopier (Xerox) to see how people responded.

The 'perpetrator' asked pople waiting for the photocopier to go to the front of the line and they measured the number of positive and negative responses.

When the perpetrator gave a "reason", those in line were more likely to allow the perpetrator to jump-cue than when no reason was given.

But they also found that almost any reason would do. There wasn't much difference in the percentage of people who would allow the perpetrator to push in when the reason was "because I'm in a hurry" compared against "because I need to make some copies".
Marcus from London Send private email
Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Marcus, that book, and that example, is a classic.

It's why I use the word "because" in so much of my copy ;o)

AC

AC -

Your repeated use of 20% makes me wonder is that is just an example, or in your copywriting background, have you found 20% is a sweet spot for discounts?
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

It's more of a sweet spot for getting clients to run a discount campaign... ;o)

But yeah, it's beefy enough to get real interest, without wasting money.

10% doesn't really interest anyone who is already interested in the product at it's normal price. The entire point of such discounting isn't to make it available to people who normally can't afford it, but to trigger action from those that can. 10% isn't usually enough to trigger that "I gotta buy it now!" response, unless it's on a grocery store shelf.

20% tends to work, so why go any further? You also head into the "why so cheap?" or "Why normally so damn expensive then?" territory when you go into big discounts like 40 or 50% off.

I also see good success with a more specific 'reason' and weird numbers, such as "License 2 or more computers and save 12%".  The reason is a bulk discount of course, and the 12% looks like you've carefully calculated how much you can afford to give them. Compare it to this:

License 2 or more computers and save 10%

Suddenly looks cheap and tacky, and somewhat arbitrary too, see?

But don't try to grab attention with weird numbers such as 12%, because then the reader feels they need to read the advert to understand the headline, and nobody wants to do that. Save those for getting that last inch of mouse movement towards the "But now" button.

AC
Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Buy even.

AC
Wednesday, November 19, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics