* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Life after SoftwarePassport death

I guess at least few vendors here were influenced by predictable but still sad SoftwarePassport death. Let's say one of competing software protection products offers you painless migration from SoftwarePassport, with full support of SwP keys. Your current key/licensing infrastructure remains the same, all you need to to is to replace SwP call to another protector's call during project build. How likely is it for you to buy that hypothetical product compared to other equal competitors?
Dmitri Popov Send private email
Wednesday, November 12, 2014

There are already a handful of SoftwarePassport (Armadillo) clones, and there have been even before SoftwarePassport kicked the bucket. They all copy the same licensing design mistakes & business model mistakes that SoftwarePassport made.

But the more the merrier, I guess. Go for it.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wyatt,

I did my homework, there are no SoftwarePassport "clones" that support SwP keys. Each one has it's own.

In fact the question came out from a dispute with one of the developers of protection software. He said there's no point in implementing SwP keys because it won't bring in any money. I said that comfortable migration from SwP to his tool is a competetive advantage for abandoned SwP users.

Well, the only one who is interested in this topic is a competitor that criticizes the whole approach and it seems like that my opponent was right - there's no market for it :)
Dmitri Popov Send private email
Thursday, November 13, 2014

SoftwarePassport caused me so many support problems that I decided never to use a 3rd party trial system again.

Interestingly my home grown system hasn't been cracked despite the simple algorithm I used.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Friday, November 14, 2014

My friends.
Long story short.
Those of you who have ears, may you listen.
I have explored all these options.
In the end, you must do it all yourself, because you can trust no one else.
That is an enormous burden. It is a burden that drags down your productivity, and if you are particularly clever or wise, results in your reaching out to other homo sapiens and hoping they will be honest trustworthy humans.

Long story short.

Hearken now children. Listen well to my words.

In the end, you can only trust yourself.
Scott Send private email
Friday, November 14, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics