* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Question on pricing cloud storage for businesses

Our team just released pCloud Drive - a cloud storage desktop client that lets you work with files in the cloud without taking up any space on your PC. Think of it as Spotify for your important docs and files. You can check it out at http://pcloud.com in case you're interested.

Now, I've been reading this forum for months and I know people here know there stuff when it comes to SaaS software and web-ware, so I want to ask you guys for your feedback: What, in your point of view, is a good enterprise price point for such a service?

Would that be per-user, like Dropbox does (Dropbox for Business charges €12 per user per month with a minimum of 5 users) or with account limitations included, like Box does (Box has storage and file-size limits that go up with the price).

Most of all, are file-size limits and storage limits appropriate when there's so much competition in the cloud storage market out there?

P.S. I'm asking as an individual here, not on behalf of the company I work for.
Jim Kinley Send private email
Monday, November 10, 2014

I think you need a comparison table to show how this is better than Box, Dropbox, etc, as they are what people tend to think of.

It should be the first thing you see when you land on the site, but I couldn't find it.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, November 10, 2014

I think it's too late to jump on the "storage" train, potential customers are aware of what it is and what sucurity problems it brings. Besides there are very strong players, when someone talks about cloud storage DropBox is the first that comes to mind and it's hard to beat that.
But you focus on B2B and that's where you can benefit. Add business-specific features like collaboration helpers and bullet-proof security, then charge twice as DropBox does. Businesses tend to choose better service even if it costs more.
Dmitri Popov Send private email
Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Without wanting to be the harbinger of doom and building on the comments by other posters.

Dropbox raised $500M in funding earlier this year.

Microsoft Office 365/ OneDrive gives  1TB for about £7 a month

And Google's GDrive gives you 100GB for $2 a month.

All three of these players will be definitely "There tomorrow", so I'd trust storing my files with them.  You unfortunately have no credibility in the marketplace so I wouldn't put anything I valued on your service.

If you are to stand any chance you need to articulate why you are better than the others. 

Because at the moment, you just look like another file-sharing service.

Don't get me wrong, your site looks good ..... but you are late to the party and the punch has almost been drunk.

You need a niche.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Sunday, November 16, 2014

The only answer I would trust
to that question is one based
on hard data via 1000 trials and
Xx paid users then I would retest
a different price.

Nice URL and site design
C. Stark Send private email
Tuesday, November 18, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics