* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Strange incoming referral links

I have a very low traffic product, so I can inspect all visitors manually, one by one (that's the benefit of having 5 visits a day!).

I am getting some strange visitors coming from  buttons-for-website.com. I open the page and it just shows vertical options to share a button (if I get that). I am getting such visits even to a new site that I haven't advertised nowhere.

Another source is amazon.com, it regularly visits some of my sites. I can notice as I have some domains that have no visits in couple of days, and then 2-3 page loads from amazon.com. It seems as a regular user browsing, not a bot. If I browse my history of visitors for one of these sites, it seems amazon.com is one of the top visitors. I thought maybe I used the domain when registering for AWS and maybe that's the reason, they are regularly checking if the domain is valid?
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Also have such referrals.

Maybe it is a referral spam?
MatrixFailure Send private email

Are you advertising on AdWords?
Andy Brice Send private email

No, currently no active adwords. I did advertise at one time, shortly, but maybe more than a year or so ago.
ThistimeAnon Send private email

I am also getting referrals from them and other weird sites.
Looks like referral spam. They do this and hope you will look at their website.
Calvert Send private email

I always get strange referrals as soon as I put a site up.  99% of the time they are not real visitors.  I just ignore it and concentrate on building traffic.
C. Stark Send private email

I get daily visits from

buttons-for-website.com

and

semalt.semalt.com

It's just some schmuck trying to make a living.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Thursday, November 06, 2014

You must be stronger, 5 its begining and if you do more  abouth seo i think 1000 a day its posible for your site.my mine just small site and i think its can be large.
Oke see you.
asyhadia Send private email
Monday, November 10, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics