* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

refund policy

Hi,

How should I react to a refund request (which should not be fulfilled according to my refund policy):

"If I do not get confirmation of refund I will report you to BBB, and spend a whole day smearing you online, which I am sure will hurt you much more than my credit request."

Normally, I refund orders which does not meet refund policy if the client requests it politely. However, in this case it sounds to me like blackmail / extorsion. So, I do not want to refund it as a matter of principle.
Jim Morrison Send private email
Saturday, November 01, 2014

I generally still refund when out of scope of the guarantee.

However, in the event of the sort of threat you got, then for me personally I would absolutely never refund. His threat email and the fact he is not in scope of your guarantee are sufficient that the BBB complaint will be closed, but the thing is you have to respond to it, and they might require you be a member.
Scott Send private email

Also, I did a few years ago add to my EULA a clause that says privacy policy assurances do not cover any situations where people make threats or owe money. So in these cases I am covered if I want to just repost all their emails to me, once they make a threat, I'm free to dump their data to the public and let the public judge.
Scott Send private email

> I'm free to dump their data to the public and let the public judge

Good thing you don't live in Australia.  Our Privacy Act would have you charged or jailed quick-smart for that sort of thing.
PSB136 Send private email

To the OP:  just refund and move on.  The fight isn't worth it.

"Our Privacy Act would have you charged or jailed quick-smart for that sort of thing."

Yeah, Australia's nice but the laws affecting small business aren't, nor are the basic costs of living. Not surprising they can't manage to manufacture anything significant, and have to resort to massive mining operations that rape the environment, protected by democratically elected extremists to get by. Meanwhile, countries with greater market freedom are doing fine without resorting to poisoning their own water.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, November 02, 2014

Also, any customers that don't like my EULA terms are totally free to purchase from my competitors. I'll even send them to my page with a list of all competitors I've been able to find, to help them.
Scott Send private email

If I were you, I would just give the refund and forget about it.  The idiot will probably just escalate things and start saying bad things about you online. It isn't worth it.  There are always these sorts of customers around.  This one won't be your last.
Richard J Send private email

Scott, I agree with you 100%!  I wasn't implying our Privacy Laws are a *good* thing.  My post was serious when I said it's good you don't live here and so can get away with that.

"If I do not get confirmation of refund I will report you to BBB, and spend a whole day smearing you online, which I am sure will hurt you much more than my credit request."

What's the bet he smears you online after a refund anyway?

@OP: It's up to you if you think that 1 $license_fee + being right on the internet is worth the trouble putting up with a sociopath :)

I personally would refund that guy and add his email address to my spam filter.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email

@PSB,

Thanks for the follow up. Australia was actually my main choice to emigrate to since I really like my Australian friends and their joie de vivre, but it just wasn't going to work out. Since then things seem to have gone nuts over there. Hope you guys are able to regain control of your country.
Scott Send private email

Thank you for replies. I refunded the order after logic took over emotions.
Jim Morrison Send private email
Monday, November 03, 2014

Now that he's been refunded, would you ever sell to him again if he bought another license, or another product, from you?  I used to think that was a bad idea, but then I've taken the view that if someone wants to throw money at me again, no matter how he behaved before, I'd be stupid not to take it.

Thoughts, everyone?

> I've taken the view that if someone wants to throw money at me again, no matter how he behaved before, I'd be stupid not to take it.

@P&B

But the point is this guy *didn't* throw money at the OP, because he got refunded. What he did was lend the OP a small sum of money for a short period (though misled the OP into thinking it was money he could keep), and then irritated him significantly. If you are into that sort of thing, then, sure, you'd be stupid not to sign up for another round of it.
Racky Send private email

"I refunded the order after logic took over emotions."

I agree that's the logical thing to do, but not all decisions are about logic.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, November 04, 2014

I once refunded $20 to a customer who participated in our charity sale, i.e. it was not even us getting his money, but parents of kids with cancer. He did not bother to read what exactly he will be getting and wrote literally that he has "better uses" for his $20.

But, during the same or similar campaign, I mistakenly set a wrong price of $110 for the cheapest sale item, which supposed to cost $10. Before I noticed, dozens of people bought a $20 bundle, which included that item, instead. I emailed them all offering a partial refund, and I believe only one or two took it, with several others writing back "that's okay, it's for the kids", which was very sweet.

So, if you get many sales, some of them will inevitably be to a#$holes (though I'll admit that it's hard when your *first* sale goes to one). Just refund, thank them for the time spent on your product, and move on.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Wednesday, November 05, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics