* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Forced to Use Internet Explorer - help!

Since last night and today, accessing this site is almost impossible in my usual browser.

I have been using Opera for awhile now, Normally have no problem with this site but since last night it literally takes around 10 minutes to load the page.

Sometimes if I tell Opera to STOP loading, the page will suddenly appear. Generally it just keeps returning a blank white screen, eventually loading, maybe. Or not.

I have tried disabling Malwarebytes malicious page block - no difference. I have tried clearing Opera's cache - no difference I rebooted - no difference As this is a new PC I tried resetting the DNS servers to Google's 8888 - no difference I've tried disabling the only 2 extensions in Opera, Roboform and Adblock - no difference I've tried uninstalling Opera and reinstalling it - no difference

Finally, in desperation, I tried Internet Explorer. The site loads fine in IE, so it's not the site or my connection, far as I can tell.

Anyone any ideas?

I've tried posting this on the Opera help forum but like most free software the forum is full of garbage about tarot cards etc.

To give you an idea how serious this problem is, I'm actually typing this with Internet Explorer. I'm not joking, Internet Explorer.

'elp!

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, November 01, 2014

Have you ever used Fiddler, a debugging proxy?

I can automatically insert itself as a proxy for most browsers.  If that doesn't work, you can change your proxy settings to localhost:8888 while Fiddler is up.

Once the browser begins to use Fiddler as a proxy, you can see all of the HTTP(S) requests and responses.  Errors show up in red font.  You should also be able to see unanswered requests.

You should be able to look at the last few requests and see if anything's amiss.

Unfortunately, going through Fiddler may end up fixing whatever problem you're having with Opera, right now.

If you need some help using Fiddler, please feel free to contact me via email ( jimbo@radiks.net ).
Jim Lawless Send private email

Irony... I can't load the Fiddler website either.

In IE.

Lemme try Opera...

It loads OK in Opera.

*facepalm*

Apparently I should have a toolbar? Let me close IE and see if it appears..

You meant a toolbar in the program....  :o)

One thing I have discovered using this tool is that Opera is performing some form of checking for each site you visit. Searching reveals this thread:

https://forums.opera.com/discussion/1836521/security-concern-opera-fraud-check-requests/p1

Doesn't seem to be any way of disabling that (hideous) privacy flaw. Mmm.

Bye bye Opera.

Wonder if an older version works? Nope, have installed version 12, same problem.

I really don't want to use IE but I really don't like Chrome either. Dammit.

Well this is quite bizarre. I've got Opera 25, Opera 12, Firefox and Chrome, and the only one that can open this website is Chrome?

That's plain creepy.

Thank you Jim for the tool, at least it alerted me to Opera tracking every site I visit, which makes the decision to stop using it a lot easier.

AC

I'm viewing this thread and typing this reply with Opera 25.0 just fine.
PSB136 Send private email

Well now Chrome is struggling too. I tried my mac laptop very mme thing, tried my phone fuse, me thing...

So tried my phone with wifi turned off and using mobile data...  Works fine.

Meaning it's my retarded ISP and their retarded "service"...

Still, it alerted me to the fact Opera was tracking my every move, with no option to refuse. That alone is a good reason to stop using it. I'm on holiday again for a week, if the same when I get back I'll have to chase might" service provider" (ha ha!)
Sunday, November 02, 2014

Jerusalem, could spell check have messed that reply up any further?

O-0

this is why I hate typing on phones

I only recently discovered the web console from the Tools/Web Developer menu in Firefox. If you are trying everything, you might be surprised what shows up as broken.
koan Send private email

Firefox 31.2.0ESR, IE10 and the latest Chrome all work for me. Must be something on your end.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, November 03, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics