* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Any suggestion for our product?

Two months ago, our team released  CubeBackup, a Google Apps business data backup tool,  on our website:  http://cubebackup.com.

We spent  lots of time on this product, trying to make it more efficient and more easy to use.  However, after releasing our product  for about 2 months, we didn't get much feedback and  sales.  I know Google Apps enterprise data backup is a niche field, and personal users usually will not have interest in it.  This is a tool targeting to Google Apps enterprise users, however, enterprise users usually are conservative and are not easily try out new things.  What's the best way to reach our customers?
I'd like more opinions to our product and our website. Any suggestions for product and marketing are welcomed. Thanks.
JHW Send private email
Saturday, November 01, 2014
In my experience SME's don't make purchasing decisions on software at. They typically don't have the resources for their own IT departments, so they use third party IT contractors. These are the people that need to know about your software. In the UK at least bigger SME's tend to avoid Google APPS as it isn't ISO compliant, specifically because of the lack of a backup solution.

I think your website looks very nice. You just need to get it in front of the right people to make things happen.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
In the UK you also have to consider the Data Protection Act.

Sharing you customer's data with 3rd parties is generally not allowed (which should prevent the use of Google in the first place...)

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Coincidentally, I am the author of a Mac app called CloudPull. CloudPull has a similar purpose, but is intended for individuals to back up their own Google accounts. Honestly, my sales numbers are not stellar either.

If you are willing to offer your software as a hosted service, you can compete more directly with Backupify or Spanning. I am unwilling to take that approach myself, so take that suggestion for what it is worth.

One thing I can suggest changing about your web site is rethinking the blog. Just by skimming the /blog/ front page, I can see that the product was initially released on August 9 and that you have been looking for investors. Customers may see those facts as a sign of weakness or instability. I suggest removing the "meta" section from the right sidebar. I also recommend putting the name of at least one team member, even if it is just you, on the "About CubeBackup" page.

John Brayton Send private email
John, thank you for your suggestions, very helpful! 

From your website, I can see that CloudPull has been released for more than 2 years.    I am also thinking about providing cloud-to-cloud backup solution like Backupify and Spanning.    But I am not sure if this is the right way to go, especially when there are already strong competitors in this market.
JHW Send private email
Sunday, November 02, 2014
Thank all!  People in this forum are very nice and helpful.
JHW Send private email
I also really like the look of your site. On my laptop on Firefox it looks perfect. On my iPad with Safari, though, it looks basically fine but there are no margins, so the words are really tight to the edge of the screen. Maybe that's (partly?) intentional for the smaller screen, but a *little* margin there would look a bit nicer. A small point, but thought I'd mention it.
Racky Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics