* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Care to share traffic stats?

For those of you that sell $20-$50 consumer products and earn decent income, what is the number of unique visits you get daily/monthly and how much you sell in quantity monthly?

I have a product in the above price range that sells very low (last couple of months 3 sells a month, but I remember times when 10-15 were quite usual) and I get now 200 unique visits per month (5-15 per day) and 20-30 downloads. So, I guess 10% visit to download and also 10% download to purchase. Though this is all very targeted traffic.

I just wonder, for those of you that sell products in this price range, what is the unique number of visits per day|month. Just out of curiosity...
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
About 2000 unique visits per day between the main and mini-site, organic traffic. I've never spent on ads, and don't worry about SEO apart from making sure the site has clean html.

About 500-700 'units' sold per month.
DV Send private email
Either I have a very poor conversion rate or your traffic is really very targeted (or maybe both?).

Currently I have about 120 unique visitors each day from organic searches and roughly 2 sales a week B2B. A single license of the product sells for $39.
xmlbuddy Send private email

Your sales are good for your number of visitors.

Now you should bring more visitors to your website. 
200 uniques per month is just too low number.

Imagine one day you will have 200 uniques per day.
It took me about 6 months to grow from 200 per month  to 200 per week. And then many months to 200 per day.
But hardly you will have the same sales/visitors convertion rate.
MatrixFailure Send private email
Thanks for the insights!

My product is an addon for a SaaS and almost all traffic is from the addons page for this SaaS and thus highly targeted traffic. I doubt that I can get organic search traffic that can be as near as targeted. I am in a process of expanding the addon to other SaaS providers that could benefit from this addon, so maybe that would make things better.
ThistimeAnon Send private email
50-80 unique visits per day.
30% download rate (actually a bit more, but I ignore non Windows downloads for a good reason)
7-12% download to sale
Product price is 20-30 usd depending on license type. 80% buy for $20.
About 70% of traffic is coming from google or other search engines. 15% is backlinks, 15% is direct (or unknown referral).
Zka Send private email
All traffic is not created equally. 

On a good keyword from a good country can we can consistently convert as good as 1-30.  On one site, I have had 90,000 visitors from india that have not produced one sale.
C. Stark Send private email
Ah yeah those pesky indians who rank #3 on the country toplist but purchase at 1/100 the US rate :)
Zka Send private email
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Just looked it up - in 2012 and 2013 India accounted for 4 and 4.5x less revenue than the US for us, which I think is pretty decent. In fact, it was #3 in 2012.

We sell a B2B product priced in the low to mid four-figure range.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
My stats (from October 20 to October 26):

- 365 unique visits
- 102 unique downloads
- 3 sells (477$)

Applications features:

- Windows Desktop App
- Prices start at 99$ and go up to 499$

I think my conversion rate is too low. What do you think?
BorjaSS Send private email
Andy Brice Send private email
"I think my conversion rate is too low. What do you think?"

Hi BorjaSS, I would have agreed with you five years ago, but it's a brave new world.

The general public wants programs that provide astounding amounts of entertainment and polish, and they are willing to pay you up to 99 cents a sale. Which is only sustainable for the most interesting games of wide appeal. But not for *anything* else.

Selling B2C works IF you have a game with in game purchases.

If you are selling gorgeously crafted, high quality software though, in 2014, well you need to have a million possible customers for your software that cost a million dollars to develop because people aren't going to pay you more than 99 cents and if you charge $4.99 for some niche program of interest to  only 100 thousand people, well then you will be labelled as a greedy capitalist pig.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, November 05, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics