* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Idea: borrowed license

I have an idea to generate word of mouth sales. First, you need to know some things:
1) my software is a niche application. It's not something users use for a long time, they use it for a limited time and then it's no longer useful.
2) I have no DRM. The trial and the final build is a different executabe.
3) The trial is fully functional with no time/usage limits, but the output is always watermarked to make it useless.

My idea is > Borrow your license <

Customers who own a license could send a borrowed version of the program to their frieds. This version would be a fully functional one with no watermarks but limited in time or number of uses. (basically it would be a less restricted trial version)
I expect word of mouth sales from this procedure.

What do you think?

Would you borrow a software like this?
Would you be interested if your friend borrowed a license to you (provided you were interested in the software)?

Thanks for your feedback
Zka Send private email
Sunday, October 12, 2014
I think you mean "Lend your license".
M.B. Dude Send private email
Sunday, October 12, 2014
Yes of course.
Zka Send private email
Sunday, October 12, 2014
Can't predict this sort of thing. There's no slam dunk elements of it that would allow us to say yes or no.

Try it and let us know how it turns out.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, October 12, 2014
Very, very dependent upon what the software is and what the market is like,

At a high, business level, most companies will just buy a license for each person that needs it.

At a low, casual level, most people will either pirate it or not bother.

You seem to be aiming at some sweet spot of people that really want it, but not enough to bother downloading the trial and trying/buying it for themselves, unless a friend gives it to them as a functional demo, at which point they will THEN try it and then they will buy it?

Does it actually benefit the buyer to give out functional trials, such as earning a commission, or are you just relying on karma or something?

My first thought was that it sounds all rather unnecessary and complicated. On the other hand the whole point of marketing is to try to reach your ideal market, and if you can do that via existing users then the logic is sound...

MLM for software..?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, October 13, 2014
I'm wondering how easy it is to send the program to a friend.  Is it a single executable?  Does it need an installer?
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
I was thinking about a simple URL that allows downloading.
Zka Send private email
Wednesday, October 15, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics