* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Measuring uplift from retargeting

I am trying to measure how much retargeting increases the conversion rate on my website (using A/B testing). Does any know of other published numbers for this (pref not by a retargeting company)? The only one I found is:
http://www.adequate.pl/interact/attribution-of-retargeting-ab-test
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, October 05, 2014

I don't know of any studies like this.  I have been using remarketing on Adwords for a year now.

For us, it converted a little.  It paid for itself but didn't have a spectacular impact on the overall conversion rate or a meaningful increase in overall sales.

However, on Friday one of our developers told me about  this really cool feature I didn't know about.   

If you click on the campaign and then navigate to: My_Remarketing_Campaign > Display Network > Placements

You get a list of all the sites where it is running on and then you can adjust the bids by site.  I just started playing with it over the weekend.  With just a little bit of tweaking, the re-marketing ads today are only running on the top sites in our industry.  And the CTR tripled. 

I know that our user is still somewhat targetted wherever he goes because he visited our site recently, but I don't want to show him our ad when he is looking at Celebrity Gossip, Jokes, Games, etc.  I prefer to show him the ad when he is back thinking about things related to our product.
C. Stark Send private email
Sunday, October 05, 2014

>It paid for itself

But how do you know that the people who clicked on the retageting ad wouldn't have come back to purchase anyway? That is what I am trying to measure. An 'A then B' test of overall conversion rates isn't likely to be reliable, unless:
-your conversion rate is incredibly stable
-there are no other changes

I am doing my retageting through PerfectAudience.
Monday, October 06, 2014

> Measuring uplift

I wonder what uplift is supposed to mean.

> from retargeting

I wonder what retargeting is supposed to mean.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, October 08, 2014

>I wonder what uplift is supposed to mean.

Increase in conversion rate (compared to no retargetting).

>I wonder what retargeting is supposed to mean.

When you got to Amazon and look at a watch, then you see ads for watches everywhere. That is retargeting. Aka remarketing. Aka cyberstalking.

http://www.perfectaudience.com/retargeting/
Wednesday, October 08, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics