* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Please criticize my new project

Hi,

Please take a look on my new product: celebrity-look-alike.com

What do you think? Can this be perspective?

I've made a very first beta for now. Is it worth to invest in further improvements and promotion or it is better to do minimum promotion and start smth. else to see which project is going better?

What would you recommend to do for promotion? I was thinking about posting in girl forums and etc.

Thanks
AlexC Send private email
Saturday, September 20, 2014

This sort of thing can be done online (http://celebrity.picadilo.com is one example) without the user having to download and install software from an unknown person.  How will you compete with that?
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, September 20, 2014

I agree, you're going to have a hard time competing with web apps that do the same thing. To even stand a chance with this, you'll need far more content and a much better website. This is trap that developers always seem to fall into. Marketing a product takes much more work than programming it.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, September 21, 2014

I think the death of desktop software has been exaggerated. But for one-off novelty applications like this, I think it will be very hard to compete with a website with the same functionality.
Andy Brice Send private email

Thanks guys. What do you think, is it worth doing a website for this or better try another project?
AlexC Send private email

Gave it a spin. Apparently I am either a 24 year old man who look like Taylor Swift or a 25 years old man matched to Adam Sandler and Lionel Messi.

Let's just say accuracy is not exactly spot on. One obvious improvement would be to do a little sanity check and match the detected sex with the sex of the celeb.

I tried http://celebrity.picadilo.com/ for the sake of comparing with the competition and results appear even more random (tried a bunch of celeb photos and not one celebrity is recognized. All matches are wrong). A rand() function would be just as "accurate".

Any AI who thinks that Adam Sandler looks 61% like Rihanna must have been smoking serious amounts of digital marijuana.

http://www.pictriev.com/ on the other hand seems to be doing the work reasonably well.

For now, your software accuracy looks closer to that of a random function, there is no point in porting it online - there are already tons of websites that do that or better and novelty won't work for you. On the other hand, the competition isn't all that good (for instance, none of them do the obvious step of offering you to post your results on Facebook) and it shouldn't be too hard to beat them.

Problem is that it hardly seems worth the work: the need is mild curiosity and bragging rights, both of which are pretty much taken care off by existing competition.
Sylvain Galibert Send private email

Thanks.

It seems like, the better way is to try another project.

Thank you all for comments.
AlexC Send private email

Another issue with these sites is:  have they bought the the rights to display the copyrighted photos of the celebrities?  Somehow I can't imagine they have, so how do they get away with it?  Maybe just hoping no one gives them any issue about it?

I ask because I had a vauge idea for a celebrity face web app at one point, but this was a stopping issue for it.
Racky Send private email
Monday, September 22, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics