* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Customer reported bugs

Hi guys,

I'd love some feedback on an issue I've just come across with Shopify.

I setup a store with them recently for a small business idea of a friend. The Payment Gateway options for the business' country are pretty limited and one of them - Paypal, doesn't work well at all.

I've reported what I see as a bug to Shopify and after a lot of toing and froing got a fob-off answer talking about how this was a "Feature request" and would be treated as such.

I put together a screencast and blog post about this which can be found here - http://www.johnbehan.net/2014/09/shopify-implementation-of-paypal.html

I'd love some feedback on two things.
A - Have I missed something or is this a problem that Shopify should deal with?
B - How do you feel about their response? How do you respond to customers that find fault with things you develop?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

All the best,
John
John Behan Send private email
Monday, September 15, 2014

Personally, I'm grateful when customers report bugs.  They didn't have to do it, but by speaking up, I can fix the bug which thousands of future customers won't ever see.  This also means that, over time, support costs drop as the application becomes more robust.
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Like Doug said. Also, for every user that reports a bug there are plenty that simply don't bother and move on to a competitor.

It's not just a feel-good cliché; complaints really are an opportunity to make things better.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I like both of your perspectives on this.

When I'm working on a project and someone points out a flaw I can sometimes take it pretty personally and it can take me a bit of time to coming around to accepting the criticism.

Do you ever feel like that?

I'm only asking as I wonder is that what's going on here with Shopify.

I've never worked on a project as large as Shopify so I can imagine that issue and todo lists are a mile long there and stuff like what I highlighted isn't a priority. What are the realities of a situation like this where a product is being used and probably being enhanced all the time?

I get what you mean about taking criticism personally, but you have to see it from the customer's point of view. They really don't care if the issue is with Shopify and why should they? Harsh, but true.
Scorpio Send private email

True, happily in this case it's a friend job so they've been very understanding.

Just generally I don't take criticism well, at least initially and especially about my work.

For my 10p worth it's a fob off and most companies are grateful when  a user reports a bug. I reported one to Xero last week and they couldn't be happier!
Flobot Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics