* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Does the tool used to create the software/SaaS product matter?

Please humor me for a moment and suppose the following happened:

A) I was able to create a new web application for a  certain industry that could stand another software package to choose from. 

B) The users  of the web application could choose between  running the software in-house or pay a fee to use the software as a service (SaaS). 

C) I was able to generate sells that would allow me to sell the business after some period of time for a significant amount that would allow me to retire.

My questions:
Would it matter if I created the web application by coding all of the PHP, Html5, CSS3, and JavaScript by hand or if I used one of the "programmer in a can" apps like Scriptcase ?  Would the potential buyer be put off if I had used something like Scriptcase?

Thanks,
TD
TD Lee Send private email
Monday, September 15, 2014

The buyer will need someone to work on the code anc he mustbe productive asap... for example, if you use jquery with well known plugins it may be easier...
fp615 Send private email

I think a IDE tool you use (especially for web dev) doesn't matter at all.
GerryLu Send private email

It doesn't really matter. It is true that a potential buyer may be put off by the use of a weird technology, but it isn't really a deal-breaker if the rest of the business is compelling.

I would say that the Scriptcase thing you mentioned looks ghastly and is really overpriced, so unless your potential clients don't care about how applications look and user experience, I'd recommend a different approach.

As always, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Scorpio Send private email
Tuesday, September 16, 2014

If your entire goal is to sell the business use something that a potential buyer will be more willing to work with. But then you won't be doing the business justice cause selling is not a guarantee.

Instead use what you know. If the business does sell and the buyer really doesn't like the dev setup, they can re-implement in their environment of choice. After all usually a sell like that is more for the IP of the business and it's customers. I don't think the language is a huge contributing factor to the buyer. Just document the process. If its a solid idea with documentation then it can be reimplemented in probably any environment.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

>C) I was able to generate sells that would allow me to sell the business after some period of time for a significant amount that would allow me to retire.

Not the question you asked, but have you created a software product business before? If not you may not appreciate how much hard work it is. And it takes a lot of time. If your main motivation is just making something you can sell on for the money, I question whether you will last the distance.
Andy Brice Send private email

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the great advise,

TD
TD Lee Send private email
Thursday, September 18, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics