* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Selling Products on Twitter?

Twitter now appear to have teamed up with Stripe to provide direct purchasing from Twitter feeds:

I've only recently started marketing on Twitter, but have already noticed an increase in traffic and downloads as a result of this, specifically when I get something re-tweeted by someone with tens of thousands of followers. 

Is anyone else here using Twitter as a marketing platform for downloadable software?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Tuesday, September 09, 2014
Do you sell B2B or B2C software?  Impulse buys? 

The reason I ask is I would be surprised if B2B sales increased very much from Twitter (meaning not too much more than a banner campaign on an ad network).
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, September 09, 2014
I diligently tried Twitter for a good 3 months.

I report absolutely no effect.

I sell B2B software.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
I tried promoting my training course for aspiring mISVs through Twitter ads. The results were unimpressive.
People go to Google to search for answers to problems. People go to Twitter and Facebook for distraction.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, September 12, 2014
I use Twitter for news these days as well.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, September 12, 2014
Well, I've just sold a copy of 3D Box Shot Pro to a Twitter follower, so it seems to be working for me. I guess it helps that it's a very visual bit of software and I'm able to tweet images from it.
Saturday, September 13, 2014
One sale is better than no sales, but unless it keeps happening several times a day, I wouldn't call it "working".

You've made additional $50. To make $10k/month (a decent US wage), it would have to happen 200 times every month.

I'm not trying to detract from what I'm sure feels like a small victory for you, but to everyone's who's watching: a single sale doesn't make Twitter a viable or interesting channel.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Saturday, September 13, 2014
The thing is that I've only just started on Twitter. While I agree that it's too early to define Twitter as a viable marketing channel,  I have now made a handful of additional sales from it, that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. This is with only 60 or so followers.  I think this is primarily due to being re-tweeted to a larger audience with a couple of tweets.

It's given me enough incentive to pursue it further. Twitter clearly wants to become a viable marketing channel, hence the partnering with Stripe in the US at the moment.
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
I too have tried selling B2B software and B2C services on Twitter, but i'm sorry to report that  didn't get a very high Return on Investment for my time. I'm trying Facebook next...
Flobot Send private email
Wednesday, September 17, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics