* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

MedicaCoder's nag technique

I've been using MediaCoder for a while and last night when I came home, this nag screen was popped open on my desktop:

http://i.imgur.com/IAr87RH.png

It wouldn't let me continue the app until I donated, or solved an easy math question.  Never seen this sort of nag concept before.  What are your thoughts?  I feel it's not bad, but as an end-user I just did the math and kept using it regardless.

BTW, when I first downloaded it, it was marketed as free, so I was surprised to see the nag.  This Google cache of the website proves the once-free status:

http://i.imgur.com/pfwAV8Z.png

Hate apps that employ bait-and-switch tactics.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, September 04, 2014

It's OK but likely to get old very quickly.  I think that "free" versions are better if they are feature limited but still useful rather than carping at you every time they start up to buy.  Feature limiting allows users to get used to the software, understand it, and one day (hopefully) they'll realize that removing the limitations will make the software better. 

I've been using that sort of technique for a while and it's paid off handsomely.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Thursday, September 04, 2014

I think the Apple App Store (and others no doubt) have changed the meaning of "free", although regional regulators may clamp down on that kind of bait and switch soon.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, September 05, 2014

Nagging is never a good basis for a relationship, whether it is with a human or a piece of software, IMHO.

I once came across some software that nagged you in audio, using a very abrasive scottish woman's voice. I couldn't uninstall it fast enough!
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, September 05, 2014

@ Andy "I once came across some software that nagged you in audio, using a very abrasive scottish woman's voice. I couldn't uninstall it fast enough!"

Don't worry Scotland is going away very soon, you won't be bothered any more :)
alexandar Send private email
Thursday, September 11, 2014

> Scotland is going away very soon

Nope, the people have spoken.  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, September 30, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics