* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Why number of signups are not growing?

Hi,

We have a Social Apps website which is built using best SEO and human-friendliness practices. The keywords targeting, calls to actions, interactive images and the product descriptions are all well placed on landing pages but still the number of new sign-ups is less than the number of visits. Why is that so? You may visit our website http://banckle.com/ and share your valued suggestions like a genuine website visitor, that what improvements do you want to suggest to help us convert more website visitors into registered users.

Regards,
Usman
Usman Khawaja Send private email
Thursday, August 28, 2014

You seem to have fallen victim of the very common web based scrolling disease. I couldn't make any sense of what your site is about due to the ghastly automatic scrolling of the images.  There's way too much information crammed into each scrolling page to make any sense of it in the time frame it is displayed. The graphics themselves look nice, but it's very, very confusing to figure out what you are selling.  Seems like some sort of help desk, crm, conferencing swiss army knife, but it doesn't seem to be targeted very well at all.

HTH
Andrew Gibson Send private email

Also, your mouse over links at the top of the page don't seem to work reliably in Chrome.
Andrew Gibson Send private email

Three things I noticed after a 30-second look at the website:
1) The carousel on the home page moved as I was still checking out the first item (v.annoying)
2) The menu along the top looks awful and doesn't work. You can't click on the options as they disappear (Win Vista/Firefox)
3) It seems insanely expensive

Of course, I didn't get to see what your site actually does, so maybe the price is a bargain. However, if I can't see what it does and how it is better than the alternatives, which are often free, then you have a problem right there.

Home page should be the "why", not just a generic list of "what".

As always, YMMV, IMHO, etc.
Scorpio Send private email

Looks like you bet me to it, Andrew.

Site looks very nice IMO with the glaring exception of the scrolling.

I don't know too much about CRM, but we have customers that do, and they mostly use SalesForce. So if I had to buy a CRM and didn't overly care about it, I'd probably just do that, it seems like the safe choice.

I realize you do more than CRM, but as an uninformed visitor looking at your site for less than 60 seconds, that's what I got from it.
GregT Send private email

@Andrew, Scorpio and GregT,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and they all make sense. So scrolling and speedy movement of images in the header are major confusing issues to keep the visitors engaged and presenting the product information effectively.

@Scorpio, I have checked myself on Chrome and Firebox; the top manu is working fine here. But still I will engage our technical team to double check this compatibility issue with different search engines.

So based on this natural feedback by all of you; I am going to raise these concerns within my team and we will surely consider the following improvements:

- Adjusting the scroller delay timing
- Positioning of scroller on the main page to make it more prominent without having to scroll down the page
- Images will be optimized further with clear elaboration to enhance products understanding

Thanks again for your feedback.

Same here. No real idea what the site offers, and the scrolling thing is way to fast.

Hugely irritating to be continously and constantly asked to sign up, without time to know what it is..

But I'm not commenting about that, I'm commenting at your concern that you're getting more visits than sign ups?

Are you actually expecting a 100% conversion rate? Srsly?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

@AC,
I didn't even get that point until you wrote it, I just glossed over it when I read the OP's post. That's a beyond great point. Perhaps the OP glossed it when he wrote it and didn't mean exactly that, but then again it is a little hard to imagine typing out "getting less sign ups than visits, why is that?" and not realizing what you're doing.

@OP
I think you should get rid of the scrolling altogether, and put an arrow for the user to request the next slide. Many people have posted here before that scrolling, at any speed, is very irritating.

I agree that it is hard to know what the product(s) does/do at first glance. Also, the pricing is per app, right? So Banckle chat is $49/month alone? 

This is probably a non-starter now that you're so well under way already, but I for one am not very fond of the name Banckle.

The look of the site looks really slick, though, and obviously you're already a major business (55,000 users!), so kudos to you and the team.
Racky Send private email

The good news is the top menu works on IE. Bad news is that the carousel is completely blank, apart from the text (graphic fails to appear at all).

The top menu issue is real and if it works for you, but not us, then you should still look into it. Seems like the site hasn't really been tested a lot, which makes me wonder about the quality of the products.

Really, you need to do a better job of explaining what the products are and why anyone should be interested in them. Forget the menu, carousel, etc, if I don't know what it is, why would I click on something to investigate further?

Also, "Banckle", really? That seems really weird to me, although IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Finally, if you really have 50,000 paying customers, as your website suggests, then you should be able to create a community from them and get some evangalising for you.

>but still the number of new sign-ups is less than the number of visits

Are you seriously expecting a visit:signup ratio of 100%? 10% would be good.
Andy Brice Send private email

Ps/ I find the site to be very 'noisy' and confusing. Total information overload.

Another example of poor communication; I don't think anyone else here has noticed your prices aren't just for the software but include employees?

That really isn't as clear as it should be.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

I noticed in the FAQ it says: "24/7 Customer Support at No Cost", but then the "Leave a message" box at bottom-right says "Offline".  Hmm.  If you're offline for 27/7 support, then how is that going to generate confidence for a potential client?
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, August 29, 2014

All your prices say "Billed Annually" - I would never pay a year in advance.

And yes, the drop down menu works crappy in Firefox. Often when trying to select an item the menu disappears.
Jaywalker Send private email
Friday, August 29, 2014

@ReluctantlyRegistered, the unclarity of product taglines and content overloading is a valid concern and we have started thinking to re-work on optimizing website architecture to keep the product contents short, clean, direct and easy-to-understand for all website visitors.
@ReluctantlyRegistered and @Andy, Regarding conversion rate; I did mean that the percentage of registered users is dropped in past few weeks compared to the rise in traffic during that time. Of course any percentage no lower than 7-8% is a good conversion rate.
@Racky, I appreciate your suggestion to pause the slides until a user wants to move forward.
@Scorpio and @Jaywalker, the compatibility issue is surprising because the technical and QA teams make website and product tests on regular intervals. You are encouraged to try out Banckle Apps in the real time apps.banckle.com and share your findings with us.
@PSB136, out live chat support is always online because we have different teams located in 4 continents and they provide chat assistance in different time zones. The technical support is limited up to working hours and offline inquiries are answered swiftly through technical forums.
Friday, August 29, 2014

That makes no sense at all to me. Why would I try out your applications when I don't know what they do, nor do I have an account?

I already know the website doesn't work properly on IE or Firefox, so that tells me all I need to know, as a first-time visitor.

You say it is "...surprising because the technical and QA teams make website and product tests on regular intervals." If they're not even looking at the basic functionality of the home page with two such common browsers, three if you count Chrome (which I haven't tested, but is mentioned above), then really you should probably ask yourself if these teams are doing the best job possible. Perhaps there is room for improvement there, as well as in getting across your message about what these products actually are and why they are better than the numerous other options.

You may think that's harsh or unfair, but how can you expect visitors to pay you money if the home page of your website doesn't even work?
Friday, August 29, 2014

@Scorpio, I welcome any comments no matter how harsh they are :)

The compatibility issues have been reported and looked up by relevant teams. Once the new website architecture goes live with optimized details to understand the products in a easy way; I will request you again to share your expert feedback.

Thanks for your continued follow-up on this.
Friday, August 29, 2014

Thanks for taking the criticism in the spirit it was meant. I look forward to the updates.
Friday, August 29, 2014

@All, thanks to everyone who has provide feedback. I think it is really valuable for us to improve the site user experience at first touch and your comments highlight glaring issues that we need to fix in order to do this.
Paul-Banckle Send private email
Friday, August 29, 2014

>the percentage of registered users is dropped in past few weeks compared to the rise in traffic during that time

As your traffic increases it typically becomes less targetted, so the conversion rate goes down. This is standard. But if the total number of conversions decreases as the traffic increases, then you need to worry.

Try not to panic over random fluctuations:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2014/05/11/why-have-my-sales-dropped/
Saturday, August 30, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics