* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Confusion associated with getting a Job for MISV,Please Advice

This will sound like asking life advice on a forum related to software business,but i think you people can understand me better because im one of you :)

Im a MISV,i have a fairly successful software product,which helps me meet my basic requirements.I wont say its a huge success.
I have dreams of starting a software company,just a small firm that develops quaity products i dont want too much stress or problems associated with running a big business(just sayin).

I had been going through a period of depression when i was developing this software.So i cared of nothing other than the software.Now im greatful that my work pays.But this life is lonely as im a person who seeks social interaction and moreover a real paying job and the experience in a software firm can provide.

What i lack is the self confidence and the company of people who share the same aspiration to do something.Im thinking of getting a job for the sake of sanity.

I have wasted like an year without a job after college,i think its high time to get a job and move ahead.

Im fairly confused at this point.The thing is im not successful in completing my course,i have backlogs im trying to pass those.I managed to get over some,but not many. So inorder to get a proper job in a good firm like MS or Google,i will need my degree.

I think i should get a job in a small but good software firm and i think i should not pay much attention to the pay at first right?

But im worried that i will have to leave my dream of a software firm down the drain.

And finally im not all planning to stick to the job as a coder throughout my life.Im planning to do some other business as the IT Industry can be stressfull as many people say and how the media depict.

Please advice
kooper Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2014

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you want to hang out with the dudes at the water cooler or you want to run your business. Doing both at the same time will just ruin your business and probably get you fired.

If you want success focus on one thing.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First, don't worry about Google and Microsoft.  99.9% of developers never work there, including very very smart and capable developers.

Plan on working at 3-4 software companies over the next 10 years.  This will give you good exposure to products, technologies and management styles.  Personally, I like small companies, but a larger one in the mix wouldn't hurt.

You can start your company on the side, in your free time.  That's what I did.  But I didn't work every waking hour.  I would spend maybe 10 hours/week on my company.  It took 10 years.  But now I have a very solid product, very good sales, and a few employees.

You have an advantage that I didn't -- you've already got a product that sells.  Put it on auto-pilot as much as possible and save the money you make.  Eventually it will be a large amount that will let you launch on your own knowing you have a good safety net.

Patience and perseverance are key.  Nothing of value happens quickly.
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I'm doing both just fine. I work at the office 40-50 hours per week, then care about my products in the night if I have to. My bosses are informed of my own small enterprise and it's allowed. Sure I could increase my MISV income if I'd quit my job and develop more products, but It feels okay right now.

However I have the same problems like the OP: I have no degree and this could limit my future options in my IT career. I don't want to be a developer forever, learning new languages and technologies becomes harder and more painful each year as I grow older. Getting a degree sounds very cumbersome now. I work 50-60 hours per week, I have a little kid and a time consuming hobby. Lenghty education simply has no place in my schedule.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Regarding a degree: in my experience it matters less and less the more job experience you have.  But it probably depends on the company.  I do know of one company that wouldn't promote people to managers without a degree of some sort (even in something completely unrelated to the job!).  That is short sighted.
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I would recruit someone who had created a successful software product over someone with a degree. I'm sure I am not the only one.

>the IT Industry can be stressfull

Any job can be stressful, even stacking tins of beans in the supermarket.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I recruit someone who had started an UNsuccessful company of ANY kind. Well, within reason.
GregT Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics