* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Interesting article on the state of the Windows Store

It's flooded with barely functional, scammy clone programs.  It sounds like MS have tripped up here in the race to increase the number of apps in the store. They even paid developers per app.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194993/the-windows-store-is-a-cesspool-of-scams-why-doesnt-microsoft-care/

Anyone have any meaningful downloads/sales from their apps in the Store?
DV Send private email
Wednesday, August 20, 2014

We have meaningful sales on Windows Store.  (It's not great but enough to not give up Windows Store version of our application in foreseen future)

There are few customers but competition is also very low. And what's more important on Windows Store users ready to pay money for apps. 

In fact we make more money on Windows Store than on Android Play Market on very same app because higher price and much better download to sale convertion rate.  15% (!!!) on Win Store vs. 0.5% on Android.
Eugene Akinshin Send private email

>They even paid developers per app.

$100 per app would only be enough to incentivize someone cranking out trivial apps or garbage. I guess they got what they paid for. MS seems to be asleep at the wheel.
Andy Brice Send private email

Andy, that's a little unfair.  After all, one of the apps discussed in the article "helps the users to know how to download install [VLC] and why it is.”  I think that's surely worth $4.99.
Racky Send private email

TIL Windows has a Store. I had no idea. Then again, I don't really care.
GregT Send private email

I didn't realise Windows had an app store.

I'd always thought I could find, download and install software on Windows.

Rather than going through some curated collection.

App Stores are anti-competitive and should be outlawed.

And the owners of App stores definitely shouldn't be allowed to charge 40%.  That's just rent-seeking and anti-competitive.
TomTomAgain Send private email

Eugene, what's the business model for Windows Store (for Windows apps, not mobile)? Looks like they want to handle the sales process and take a nice share doing so. Am I right?
Zka Send private email

Tom, Windows does not take a cut for desktop apps listed on the app store. It does not even offer the option to purchase them, but it does include a link to the website of the company selling the application, so users still come to your website and purchase it from there.

They take the cut only for mobile apps, the ones the users download and install directly from the store.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/06/08/listing-your-desktop-app-in-the-store.aspx
Bogdan Mitrache Send private email
Thursday, August 21, 2014

Eugene Akinshin,
May I ask you - do you use any cross-platform frameworks/tools to target all those platforms?
exim Send private email

Zka, unlike google and apple on Windows Store you are allowed to use 3rd party payment processors but we think with Win Store integrated payments we got much better convertion because users trust Microsoft and can buy with single click.
For this payments Microsoft's share is 20-30% (30% by default,  20% after your app earned $25 000).

If anyone reading this hasn't bothered reading the article linked, you should.

You really should.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

> TIL Windows has a Store.

Microsoft has had a store since at least Windows 2000. The top item in the Start menu was Windows Marketplace. They also has a separate Office Marketplace. IIRC, the Windows Marketplace was dead, but the Office Marketplace got a lot of traffic.

About the time of Vista, Microsoft re-launched the store as Digital Locker. It pretty much failed.

So the Windows Store is just their latest incarnation in a string of failures.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Saturday, August 23, 2014

They seem to be trying hard to make this one fail as well. That's fine by me. I really don't want MS getting between me and my customers and charging me 30% for the privilege.
Monday, August 25, 2014

Do you get customer data when you sell something through the Windows App Store?

On the Mac you don't even get an email address or a name of who bought your software.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Monday, August 25, 2014

Exim,
>May I ask you - do you use any cross-platform frameworks/tools to target all those platforms?
We using Xamarin for Android and iOs

Jeremy,
>Do you get customer data when you sell something through the Windows App Store?
No, you don't get any data. Same as with Apple's stores.
Thursday, August 28, 2014

Looks like the article got Microsoft's attention.

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/08/27/how-were-addressing-misleading-apps-in-windows-store/

Say's they've already removed 1500+ apps out of the stores. Time will tell if it's making a difference.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

>"From time-to-time this process slips out of sync and we need to recalibrate."

what a wonderful piece of corporate understatement BS.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics