* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google now Favours HTTPS

Just found this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28687513

At the present time none of my site use HTTPS as at the transaction stage as the visitor gets sent to an eCommerce provider that uses HTTPS. However, from reading this article it appears that Google are already ranking sites that are exclusively HTTPS higher than equivalent sites that use HTTP.

So in effect, it's now going to be crucial to buy an SSL cert to remain competitive. 

Has anyone else here selling downloadable software gone down this route?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Thursday, August 07, 2014

Not yet but I'm going to now.
Ducknald Don Send private email

Sounds like a great strategy to shake up website rankings and increase purchases of their ad programs. Otherwise, if it is a read-only information site that has no input from the user then what is there to be encrypted? I guess it is  much simpler for Google to use the shotgun approach and reward or punish everyone, rather than analyze a page to see if there is any user input. The SSL vendors much be licking their chops.
Bill Anonomist Send private email

Seems a bit daft if the user doesn't need to send any information. Am I supposed to use HTTPS for my blog?
Andy Brice Send private email

HTTPS for downloads will of course be required as well, otherwise the browser will complain about insecure content within the HTTPS session. I'm using an external provider to host my downloads and I'm pretty sure that they don't support HTTPS. So this is going to be expensive implement.

I guess you could argue that HTTPS on downloads does add a tangible layer of reassurance that the download is genuine and hasn't been hijacked or is in anyway malicious.

I guess HTTPS also makes sites themselves harder to hack, which does make them more secure.

I wonder if a cheaper domain validated SSL cert would be just as good as a more expensive fully validated cert form Google's perspective.

Personally I don't mind if hosting and domain costs rise if it clears out some of the low quality and value sites from the internet.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2014

I hate how Google is a monopoly.
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2014

Switching to exclusively HTTPS doesn't seem to be without issues:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2746047/why-not-use-https-for-everything

I'm not sure that doing this for a small Google jump is actually going to worth all of the other associated problems...
Friday, August 08, 2014

>I'm not sure that doing this for a small Google jump is actually going to worth all of the other associated problems...

Especially if it slows your site down (which Google will penalize you for).
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2014

I've just found this from the horses mouth:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

As someone in thread in this link points out, Google themselves have just started offering secure webhosting and domain names...
Friday, August 08, 2014

That's almost worse than a monopoly...

The good news is it will hasten their demise. Free markets can't abide a monopoly for long.

Ask Microsoft.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, August 09, 2014

The replies on that blog show what an utter mess is Google +

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

by registering domain names google will most likely sell, directly or indirectly, SSL certs. However, I looked but did not find, any announcement that they actually plan to sell SSL certs.

Remember when Google was all about relevance to your search term?  Now it's just about whether you play by their rules.  If people can't see what's wrong with that, then I fear for the future.
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, August 10, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics