* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

License wording

I have a product that is meant for private personal use only, and I currently have phrased it as such in the EULA and "About" dialog.  The app is not yet released.

However, I'm thinking the word "personal" is iffy here, as in a user could use it at work and claim they personally were using it, as opposed to the company.

Should I therefore perhaps change it to "private home use only"?

Or am I over-thinking again?  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Is the word you want "non-commercial"?
Racky Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

No, because then charities and other non-profit organizations can use it.
Thursday, July 17, 2014

OK, then perhaps "Individual non-commercial use", and then in the EULA you would specify, in more words, that it is licensed to one user only for purely non-commercial use, including any use as part of services rendered to any company or organization, whether at home or at the office.  (Keep in mind, many people work from home for their company).

And yes, you are probably over-thinking (or over-caring) this again.  :D
Racky Send private email
Thursday, July 17, 2014

Basically I just want to avoid a company or organization using it without paying.  Free for end users at home only, is the idea.  Lots of apps have such a stipulation.
Friday, July 18, 2014

Perhaps if you know of software which operates with this kind of licence you could read their EULA's at least as a starting point.

Having said that, I wouldn't get too hung up on the wording of the EULA. Will any of your customers really read it?

Perhaps a simple sentence on the features page for each version would suffice. AT least it is prominent and more likely to be read: "Free for personal use in a non-commercial environment" versus "For use in commercial, business and home business environments including non-profit organisations" (or whatever).
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, July 18, 2014

"Home and Student"?
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Friday, July 18, 2014

I know Team Viewer does this - don't know how they word it in their EULA, you might look, but it's clear it's free for personal use; paid for business.

With that said, I know all kinds of IT companies that use the free Team Viewer version to give support to their clients regardless and they don't seem embarrassed to be brazenly "stealing" software in front of their clients.  Their clients have asked me to use it and then seemed taken aback when I balked.

I may sound like a prude but it really surprised me because these same companies -- largely IT and Law Firms -- usually come across as pretty careful about following licensing guidelines.  I guess they figured they would not get caught. 

I mention this because you may get a lot of people fully understanding what you mean whether you say personal or find a tighter way to word it, but  who choose to cheat you. 

There seems to be something about the psychology of "free for personal but not business" that leaves many feeling ambivalent about paying.
Emily Jones Send private email
Thursday, July 31, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics