* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Microsoft App Store

I remember a couple of years ago that Microsoft announced they were going to launch an App Store like Apple's. Is this it?

If I also recall correctly, the focus of this store would be "Metro" apps, but there would also be a way to submit or at least list traditional desktop apps. I don't see that functionality anywhere at the store, or in the MSDN guidelines I've found.

Is anyone listing a standard Windows app (non-Metro) in Microsoft's App Store? Can you point to a link for it, provide any insight on your experience, etc.? Is it worth it? Does it help with product visibility?
Kevin Walzer Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
*******crickets chirping******

I take it there isn't overwhelming, or even underwhelming, take-up of the Windows App Store. OK. That is a useful data point.
Kevin Walzer Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
I tried but had endless problems (with the store not the app), eventually I decided I was wasting too much time on it. This was a while ago so I may try again for the next release.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
I couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops. Even now I only get a quarter as much traffic from Windows 8 as Windows 7.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
I can honestly say I will never use Windows 8.

Never ever.

9 maybe but not 8. And not 8 point something.

That page has a developer's link, which leads to this:

"Your developer account lets you publish apps to both the Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store, but the dashboards and processes you use to submit and manage apps are separate."

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, July 25, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics