* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Renewed Code Signing Certificate not trusted by W8 SmartScreen

Hi all,
My app was signed and had no problem with the Windows 8 SmartScreen.
Since I renewed my code signing certificate, the new certificate is not trusted.
The new certificate has been 2 weeks (>600 downloads) and the problem still persists. This seems abnormally long. Do not you think?
On the renewal, I changed the "common name" (ie the editor name is not exactly the same than before). I do not know if this can affect.

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers of downloads required before MS decides your app is OK again?

Is it possible to inform MS of a change in cert and move some of your old app reputation ?

Thanks!
(sorry for my english)
Dom Becker Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/19c57259-ca6e-4f10-a26e-d2f5e03fa52d/how-to-make-my-app-pass-smartscreen-filter-in-ie9?forum=iewebdevelopment

in that thread people are still complaining 2 years later. I am not aware of any way to get Microsoft to fix the problem. I have done as the final poster on that thread did - post an article on my site explaining the issue and hopefully removing any doubt the end user would have. The link to the article is prominently displayed near my download link:  "Using IE9 to download? Please read this page first:
IE9 SmartScreen Issue" http://fat-bug.com/smartscreen
Craig A Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Do you digitally sign both the application and the installer?
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

yes both are signed.

Graid thanks for the links.
Many developers complain, but MS does nothing to fix things.
SmartScreen integrated in Windows 8 is even more vicious: the problem occurs with all browsers (chrome, firefox, opera ...) but NOT with IE.
One way to suggest (falsely) that MS is not responsible for these false positives.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

You have 2 options:

1) wait and hope your software is considered safe soon.
2) get and extended validation code cert.

More details here:
http://www.samlogic.net/articles/windows-8-extended-validation-code-signing.htm
Ralph R Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Why isn't this:

1. Fraud. Paying for something that does not do what it claims. I bought a standard certificate and now find it does not work on Windows 8/IE 9.

2. Extortion. Threatening harm if you do not pay. Note, it does not have to be a physical threat to be extortion, just something unpleasant.
Bill Anonomist Send private email
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Do you think  possible that the software will never considered safe by smartscreen, despite the certificate, and many downloads ?
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Knowing that my software is of course free of viruses, malwares...
Wednesday, July 16, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics