* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Unacceptable payment methods?

Okay I just got a feedback on my uninstall form from a US ip address that he would have purchased if my payment methods were acceptable.
I offer paypal and fastspring as payment method. Delivery is automated & instant in both cases and this is clearly stated on the registration page.
I can't even begin to imagine what is unacceptable with my payment methods. Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
Zka Send private email
Sunday, July 13, 2014

Why are you asking us instead of asking the customer what payment he was hoping for. Perhaps he doesn't realize that these services allow credit cards to be used. Maybe he wants to do bank transfer. Maybe he wants to send cash in small bills by carrier pigeon. There's no way for us to guess. You need to find out first, and then you can say "Oh the customer wants X, but I don't want to offer X because of Y. Do you folks think I am in the right?" At least that we'd have a chance of answering.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, July 13, 2014
He's not a customer. It's just a feedback on my uninstall form, no means to contact. I would ask him for sure if I could.
Zka Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
S/he might be a Bitcoin fanatic, or someone from a country whose credit cards aren't accepted. (You can check the failed orders in FastSpring to see if there is order issue there). If there is nothing there, I wouldn't bother about this further, such feedback isn't of big use.
handzhiev Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
Well he was from a US ip address so I assume he was American. PayPal and FS combined covers pretty much everything in the world except for maybe bitcoins, pebbles and seashells.
So I don't understand what he wanted to see, but I supposed someone in the community would be wiser than me :)
I'll check FS transaction log for sure, thanks for the idea.
Zka Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
Purchase Order?
TomTomAgain Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
Yes, maybe PO, good idea.
This product is really unlikely to be picked up by businesses, especially not bigger ones that would require a PO. Anyway I'll probably set up PO in my FS account.
Zka Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
> no means to contact. I would ask him for sure if I could.

OK well I wouldn't worry about it much. Your payment methods cover the basics that 99% of shops have.

Maybe he has a bunch of cryptocurrency he wants to unload and is unhappy that most places don't accept it. Maybe he wants to barter a trade using surplus belly button lint.

You accept the same things that amazon does and they are pretty successful.
Scott Send private email
Monday, July 14, 2014
Well I accept much more than Amazon. They don't accept PP for example, which annoyed me recently :)
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Earlier this year I noticed my sales were down a bit so I raised all my prices across the board, some significantly, with more than 100% increase. It was many years since my last price increase and the increase was mostly keeping up with real inflation, which has been considerable.

The results were as I expected, I had large increases in both revenue and in raw sales as a result since my superior software was now closer to the prices of its blue chip big company rivals. I had suspected some people didn't take it seriously because it was too cheap.

But the thing is I didn't change just one thing. I changed two. Prices and payment options. I also had the sales page revamped and got rid of most of the obscure payment options. Used to accept checks, money orders, bank transfers, POs, all that BS. Got rid of all of it. Now the only options are Credit Card or PayPal, and if the customer doesn't like that, they should get their act together and stop being so precious. (Actually if they privately contact us we'll still make other arrangements if reasonable.)

Thinking about this now, I can see there were two factors in the increased sales. First, the higher price that made the product more desirable and seem less ghetto. Second, too many payment options are confusing and drive people away as they go off to wonder how they should pay. I think there's also a factor that if the person can't deal with credit cards or paypal, they are probably not a legitimate customer anyway or will take too much time.

The last thing you want is the crazies that want BitCoin. Those people will take up all your time with special requests for new features and complaints about stuff.
Scott Send private email
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Scott, exactly because you changed two things at once, you cannot credibly reason about the impact each of them has made.

I think that a would-be customer that did not buy because there were too many payment options did not want your software that much in the first place, and was looking for an excuse to not buy it.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, July 21, 2014
I'm sure there are those in that category.

However, it's well established that you lose conversion at every single step you have in the purchasing process.

There's some options that can improve things.

Should you sell one model of electric drill and let your competitors provide the other price points? Or should you have 2 or 3 models so the customer's sense of choice comes from among products you offer.

We know that decoy pricing and selling home vs enterprise versions can help, as long is it is clear what the differences are.

Payment options are a bit different since they aren't a feature people are looking for. The key is to offer the standard options.

Is amazon losing business because they don't accept BitCoin. No. And neither will anyone else. On the contrary, it's a good way to filter out orders that are much more likely to turn into an anonymous account buying registration codes and reposting them on a chinese site.
Scott Send private email
Monday, July 21, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics