* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Pricing structure feedback

Hi all,

I have released a tool that helps find blind spots in automated tests. It's a mutation analyzer that has proven to be more robust and accurate than the free ones out there for Ruby and Java (see http://bit.ly/1mRNEYr).

With the automated tool, you potentially save a lot of money by detecting bugs earlier in the development lifecycle.

I would like to get your feedback on the current pricing plan for it (http://bit.ly/1sHr4RA).

Thanks!
Mario G Send private email
Friday, July 11, 2014

As a general guide, when you have 3 prices like that it is good to have one of them as the obviously bad choice - in your case the $99 one...

However there is such a huge jump between that and the other 2 levels that it's not believable. I'd make it even higher, to show it's in an entirely different class ($199) or bring it down a bit, such as $79.

It's not about actual "value" or mathematics; it's about perception, as I'm sure you know.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, July 12, 2014

Yes maybe the difference in price should be more linear...

But other thing that interests me (provoked by your site design) is why is it (which has become so last couple of years) that sites are more and more using ridiculously big fonts and images. Why do I have to scroll 5 times to read information that otherwise fits a page easily?!

I have seen that design everywhere and its neither easy on eyes or beautiful or functional... I can see no plus sides to that kind of design.
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, July 12, 2014

So a "company" can have up to seven people that might be using your tool, whereas an "enterprise" is capped at a whooping 13, not more? Better reserve "Enterprise" for custom plans. Also, can't help thinking you are addicted to prime numbers. It is way easier for most people to wrap their heads around multiples of five.

I am fairly sure that you won't make any profit on the $5 plan. Customer acquisition and support costs alone would most likely exceed LCV at this price point.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics