* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Physical address on emails

Hey guys,

I'm working on a web app which will send emails for certain events (thanks for signing up email, thanks for paying email, etc)

If I'm not mistaken, according to spam laws I'm supposed to include a way to unsuscribe as well as my physical address.

Is it really important that I list my real physical address? Given that this is a personal project, I would be listing my home address which for privacy purposes I wish to avoid.

Also, I'm not based in the US, and since my web app is in a niche that's governed by strict local, state, and federal laws, appearing to be from the US would (I believe) give a better impression that I am up-to-date with these laws (which I am), as compared to a product built outside the US.
Sandy Wilkins Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Do you really need to use your home address?
Lots of physical addresses I see are P.O.boxes or are for the offices of services that exist to provide businesses with a physical address in the desired street/city/country.
Drummer Send private email
Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Does that mean that I could technically write any address? It isn't required to be where my business is registered in, or similar?

Thanks
Tuesday, July 01, 2014

$50 a year will get you a shipping address from something such as this:

http://www.shipito.com/shop-pricing

I'm sure there are similar services that are more suitable.

However the spirit of the law is that you should have an address where the authorities or lawyers can send you documents.

One of my clients is a USA lawyer who, among other things, offers a "Registered Agent" service, where he is basically a glorified mail box and the official contact for your business in that state.

Not the USA in general but in each individual state you do business in. His service is 'cheap' at 'only' $99 per state per year, while most are around $140 to $350.

So you can either throw away a lot of money for all 50 states in some country you don't even live in, or just say "Meh" and not bother.

Personally I'd just make sure to give them a one-click unsubscribe and leave it at that - but I'm not a lawyer and even if I was, free legal advice on a forum isn't worth as much as it cost you.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Here ya go:

"our Own New York AddressOur service provides you with a physical street address in New York - not a P.O. Box - for your business or personal packages and mail. We will receive your items and store it in our secure location. Plus, you can preview your items at any time using our secure online mail manager. Not only are your packages and mail secure, we make it easy for you to keep tabs on them.

Use a real U.S. address for banking, credit card, personal purchasing or business purposes.

Purchase from any website without worrying about whether they ship internationally, or what their rates are for overseas shipping.

Subscribe to Trade and Commercial magazines that do not ship outside of the U.S.

View your mail online at any time."

http://www.usamail1.com/us_mailing_address.php

"...or business purposes". Done. :)  Only $10 per month.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Cool thanks!
Wednesday, July 02, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics