* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Switching from full time programming to 1099 contractor?

Hello all,

I wanted to get other software developers' thoughts on what I was thinking about doing. Just a little bit of background ... I'm 29, have a B.S. in Computer Science, have around 7 years total experience in software development (primarily C++ programming but comfortable with C, Perl, and C# as well). I work in the finance industry in Chicago. I am single and have several months of emergency savings in the bank (which I know is a must for contract work).

Based on what I have read (and it's hard to find topics about this), it seems like I would be a good candidate for contracting work. I have actually done some side contract work in the past for various clients and they were all happy with my work. The problem was that I didn't feel like I could make enough money to maintain the lifestyle I have right now with my permanent job. I was getting work through sites like ODesk.com or Craigslist. I found out that it was hard to compete with people who were willing to do the same work for much less money in other countries, but I still managed to find a few decent gigs and probably could've developed a good client base given time.

Ideally, I would like to do that sort of thing full time except not necessarily though ODesk.com but through contacts I develop over time. I also recognize it's quite risky and for sure I wouldn't be making enough money for the first several months if not longer. I know what it was like to deal with clients who don't pay you on time or ever pay you period. Based on what I have read, working on an IT contract for a 6 month - 2 year period at some company basically feels like you're at a permanent job, but at least you'll have some flexibility and move on to another contract if you don't like the current one. My plan is to initially take on these 6 month - 2 year type of contracts for a while until I develop a good client base and then after that I can become more of an actual "independent" contractor that does whatever work I want to do whenever I want. I understand that I have to develop a good client base first though.

My first question is: Does it make sense to do what I am thinking about doing? Secondly, how do I get there? Should I just search for a contract job on a site like Dice.com and go from there? I found my current permanent job on Dice.com. Am I completely nuts to even think about this? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Caldus Send private email
Saturday, June 28, 2014

You might want to checkout the site/ebook by Brennen Dunn, "Double Your Freelancing Rate". Might give you some ideas.
M.B. Dude Send private email
Monday, June 30, 2014

@ Caldus: "move on to another contract if you don't like the current one. "

Unless you have a *very* good reason, don't ever do this. Think of your next interview/potential assignment: "Why did you leave XXX? early?", 'Didn't like it there', "OK. Can we get a reference", 'Erm.... no.'

If you want to be a serious contractor you need to keep the clients happy and, more importantly, keep colleagues happy. People have a habit of moving around and walking out of a contract will mark you down when they move to YYY corp and remember your name/company when a cracking job comes up.
Ewan McNab Send private email
Monday, June 30, 2014

Ewan,

That's definitely true. I didn't mean to say that I would walk out of a contract early like that. I meant to say that I would have more flexibility with things in the sense that once the contract was over, I could move on to something new if I wanted to.

I was searching around on different job sites and the best rate I've found in my area for a C++ contract is $90 an hour (they claimed it started at that rate). I'm not sure if it was a W2 or 1099 contract though, so that could make a difference. Of course, most jobs just say the rate is "Competitive". It was crazy to see a lot of contract jobs in my area paying $45 an hour or something like that. I guess this is why it's important to develop a good client base.

It's just difficult to really measure the risk in this sort of career change. I guess it's because I'm so used to the stability of a full time job. It also seems like C++ is becoming a lot less prevalent out there these days, so I may have to adjust to new technologies.
Caldus Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2014

I did exactly this at the end of last year. 

I had been doing side contract work for several years, and had wanted to do it full time, but the risk was too high - I'm the sole breadwinner for my family, and due to some health issues in the family it's very expensive (or impossible) to get good medical coverage without a group policy.

However, I got laid off from my F/T gig last year, at the same time I had a P/T contract project spin up.  I decided that I would focus on that for a few months, trying to pick up some additional side projects, and see how that worked out.  The ACA went into effect in January, meaning that I could afford to buy decent medical insurance.  Since then I've managed to pick up enough work to make it feasible to continue.  Due to what I assume is dumb luck, I've had enough substantial multi-month contracts to keep me busy without having to go the odesk/elance route (although I do keep my eye on those just in case). 

Right now my goal is to go a full 12 months, evaluate where I'm at, and decide if I want to continue.

My biggest concern is keeping the pipeline full so that I don't have a substantial break between projects.  Beyond that, it's the usual stuff

- raise my rate
  - spend more time building the business/brand
  - develop some product ideas as another revenue stream
  - re-evaluate my tax/legal setup

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything in more detail.
Jason Send private email
Thursday, July 03, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics