* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Multiple payment processors - how to do it right?

Hello

Quick question. I have added a secondary payment processor to my registration page and now people seem to ignore the primary. That costs me money :(

This is how it looks like right now:
http://imgur.com/DWFv77P

It looks silly and confusing. I figure people just scan through the page for a REGISTER button and click it. Changing all 4 buttons to REGISTER would probably direct them back to PayPal, but it would look even sillier and more confusing.

What's your suggestion, how to do this properly without requiring javascript? Can you show me a registration webpage that does this properly?

Thanks
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, June 24, 2014

That is very confusing. perhaps you could have just the PayPal buttons (if that is your preferred method) and a small text hyperlink underneath with 'Can't pay with PayPal?' that takes them to the FastSpring page.

It would be a good candidate for A/B testing, assuming you have a reasonable number of transactions per month.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Your "Register" button is so big it makes people think it is the default payment method. Make PayPal buttons bigger and everything should become normal.
Dmitri Popov Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

There's also an issue with the English, in that it say "Register via FastSpring" and "No registration required".

I think I know what you mean, but this can't be helping.

+1 to Dmitri for mentioning the relative sizes, hence perceived importance, of the buttons.

Final point, get rid of justification on "14 days no questions..." text, as it looks weird.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ironic: "says", not "say". Doh!
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

That's just Muphry's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

You could remove the Register button and just add a small link:

I don't have a paypal account
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Thursday, June 26, 2014

+1 to Wyatt O'Day for that.
Thursday, June 26, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics