* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Snapped-up domain names

I've had 3 domain names over the years, which I've let lapse on purpose due to either dissatisfaction of the name and/or failed products.

I've noticed that other companies have since snapped up those names for themselves.  What is the reasoning behind that?  Are they hoping that I might pay to buy them back?  Or will they try to sell my products there in future after cracking them or something?

What's the idea?
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2014

If you're thinking of starting a new website then, allegedly, a 2nd hand domain is considered "aged", and thus doesn't face Google's "sandbox penalty" for new domains.

How much truth there still is in all that I' not sure, but it's why many people snap up lapsed domains.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2014

Well given that they weren't used, or were for failed projects, you shouldn't worry too much.

Like the previous commenter wrote, there's a whole market for buying expired domains for SEO purposes. Sometimes you can even recover the old content of a website and then include links to your "money-site" to improve Google rankings.

Then, there's just the chance that someone else liked the name and bought it to resell or use themselves.
Sandy Wilkins Send private email
Thursday, June 26, 2014

BTW, I don't believe the Google "sandbox" thing.  All 3 domains were brand-new when I created them, and my products were all on page one of Google hits within 2 weeks.  So if there's a "sandbox" period, it's definitely only a couple of weeks at most.
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, June 29, 2014

That's why I put it in quotes and said I can't speak for the truth of the sandbox thing.

Fact is it's what people believe, hence they seek out aged domains.

Pre-Panda I would often throw a site up and be making money within a week, so while aged domains *might* be better, new domains never stopped me ranking.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Sunday, June 29, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics