* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Business Startup Advice Needed

I'm planning on starting a web based service and I need PayPal to pay affiliates and other users that will be helping with marketing, the problem is PayPal is only available as Send Only in my country.

Due to this problem, I have tried to find another business idea, I have reviewed over 50 ideas I have but the problem is every time I try to find another idea I keep coming back to  the previous idea, I can't help myself.

I tried looking for alternative ways to receive payment and send payment to affiliates and partner (I have tried virtually all payment processors I know) but it's either they require me to be a U.S. citizen or require me to have a representative in the U.S. or some other requirement that is impossible for me to fulfill.

This is very sad and confusing, I thought the internet has been around for some time now and that their should be no serious barrier for people living in other countries from starting their online business with peace but It seems it's the other way round.

What do you advice I do?
Anthony J. Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2014
Well I would say "Bitcoin" because it's tailor-made as the exact perfect solution for your problem, which is by no means rare.

However if you mention Bitcoin around here it tends to trigger kneejerk reactions of "Bitcoin!? Urgh! It's scam! Ponzi scheme! Ponzi scheme! Scam! You'll lose your house if you accept payments in Bitcoin! Scam!" etc etc.

Which is sad.

But yeah, bitcoin. It's a PITA to set up with an exchange but once you've done so it's international money, without having to suck on anyone's anything, not even Paypal's.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2014
Huh. What is the possibility AC has a bunch of btc he needs to unload as cash.

In any case, if it's true both that you absolutely have to have paypal payments for your company and that the US based company won't allow that (possibly having to do with US money laundering/antiterrorism laws they can't change or challenge), then you have to do one of the things to make it work, or do some other plan.
Scott Send private email
Saturday, June 21, 2014
See what I mean?

Saturday, June 21, 2014
Would an app like Freshbooks help you?  You/they can invoice & pay in whatever payment platform you choose (they could use PayPal, you could use whatever would work best in your country).

Or I guess you could go to an outsourcing platform like eLance & pay/receive money through that.  Only problem is the platform transaction fees...

Joanna Lees Castro Send private email
Sunday, June 22, 2014
We sell our software product via FastSpring, which has support for split payments. More recently, FastSpring launched a service called SaaSy (http://saasy.com/), which you may wish to check out. We have never used it ourselves though.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
AC just let us know how many btc you own and state the name of a service that would allow you to withdraw it all in cash should you choose to. Thanks.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Scott, let us know how much you have in your bank account?

Or, you know, we could mind our own business?

(If you really HAVE to know I have exactly 2.24 BTC, which I'll continue spending as BTC in some of the hundreds if not thousands of places that take them. I USE bitcoin; I don't stockpile the things as an investment, though perhaps I should have done as I paid around $60 to $80 for a fistful and they're worth closer to $600 each at present)

Bitcoin is a payment system and a currency that no government central bank can inflate. That's it. It's not so scary, really.

Thursday, June 26, 2014
So so far anyone that has anything to say about bitcoin different from you is:

- "kneejerk"
- "sad"
- fearful

Just a bunch of crazies yearning for the days of fully staffed buggy whip factories.

Yep, that's it. That's what it's all about.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, June 26, 2014
It's kind of like you're still advocating for Bernie Madoff after what was going on was found out.

People still read the news and can decide for themselves if bitcoin is a smart thing to be advocating their customers should use.

Couple years ago you could get away with that, and paint everyone with questions or skepticism as luddites shivering with fear, unable to cope with the modern world.

You know what's happened since then? Or you living in a cave somewhere?
Scott Send private email
Thursday, June 26, 2014
Scott, I truly believe your piss-poor attitude is why this forum is become more and more sparse.

Do you actually have any friends?

Friday, June 27, 2014
Reluctantlyregistered: "Scott, I truly believe your piss-poor attitude is why this forum is become more and more sparse.

Do you actually have any friends?"

WOW!  That will really impress people!  Not positively though.

I like Scott's remarks.

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Friday, June 27, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics