* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

PayPal removes "pay without creating an account" in AT,CH,DE

Quick heads-up to people using PayPal as their primary means for processing credit cards.

As of May 25, 2014, PayPal removed the option to "pay without creating a PayPal account" for payers in Austria, Germany and Switzerland.
You can check this for yourself by starting any PayPal checkout process and changing the country to "Germany". A mandatory password field will appear.

I sent a mail to PP about this. They confirmed that the change affects only those three countries. They also said that it is not planned to propagate this change to other PayPal sites.
They also listed some "benefits" that this change would have to my business, including "improved conversion". Sounds quite ridiculous if you ask me.

Personally, I might switch to another credit card processor in the future.
restless Send private email
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
PayPal aren't great. Non existent support. Few features (compared to 'full fat' payment processors such as Avangate or Fastspring). Lots of false positives for fraud. They aren't even that cheap if you have to do currency conversions (+2%).

If you aren't registered for VAT, then Stripe might be a good alternative. If you are registered for VAt, consider a full fat payment processor.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, May 30, 2014
I'm not really worried about that change - these countries make up like 3% of my sales combined and the registration isn't that a big issue. I mean about 70% of us/eu people already have PP account so they can pay in 30 seconds or so.

"Lots of false positives for fraud."
Can you elaborate please? I mean how much is that "lot" and how can I see when this happens? I'm way over 600 sales via pp and it never came to my attention that someone was not allowed to pay or the payment was delayed for long.
Zka Send private email
Saturday, May 31, 2014
Actually, I'm getting really confused.

I'm in Hungary and I no longer have the "pay without creating an account" option. Googling this issue reveals that there have always been countries where this was not available.

A stackoverflow user says there is no longer such option at all:

However I still have that option in my business setup (and it's enabled of course). I recently had people paying without registration and this month was my best ever so far.

What's up with this? PayPal is really NOT putting it clearly anywhere. Any page I dig up is contradicting the other one...
Zka Send private email
Saturday, May 31, 2014

When I used PayPal as my main payment processor I got quite a few emails saying from people saying that PayPal was rejecting their credit card. I seem to get less (but still some) with Avangate. However this isn't scientific - I never counted the emails. And, of course, I don't know about the ones that PayPal rejected and never emailed me (Avangate do email me if someone supplies their credit card and fails a transaction - usually because they are in the USA and I am not, it seems).
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, May 31, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics