* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

A/B Testing?

Ok, I know what A/B testing is. But what is the proper way to go about it? People always say just do it but how do you actually go about it in a high level way. I know it will differ between your sales methods and site technologies.

If you have an external processor do you set up multiple payment pages depending on the price you're testing? How do you control it so a person doesn't visit multiple times and see different prices? Or do I have the A/B price testing all wrong?
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Visual website optimizer is the service I recommend:

http://visualwebsiteoptimizer.com

No system is perfect but this is as good as it gets for DIY, and they're a helpful bunch too.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, May 14, 2014

If you want to self-host, you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6fGPrgu2c
S. Tanna Send private email
Thursday, May 15, 2014

VisualWebsiteOptimizer is a great tool for A/B testing.

The key to A/B testing is conversion optimization. Knowing what to change/test to improve conversions/sales.

A lot of this is knowledge/experience of what works/doesn't work and appealing to the audience of your product/service.

Regarding A/B price testing I would recommend adjusting your price for a period of time and test it's affect on sales vs. trying to A/B test your pricing.

You could setup different pricing pages and A/B testing services can track who sees what pricing so it presents uniform pricing based on a cookie used to track segments.

However, since users thinking about purchasing your product or service most likely will be viewing your site/pricing on multiple devices/IPs while they are making the decision this would most likely lead to confusion as they would be presented different pricing on different devices.

So I would recommend going with a price change for say 30 days and see if there is any change in sales.

Typically prices are too low and raising prices doesn't result in a loss of sales only an increase in revenue.

But there are also lots of small things that can be done to streamline your checkout process, calls to action, expressing the value of your product/service that can increase sales.

Patrick McKenzie has a great book you should read.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/12/21/i-wrote-a-book-on-conversion-optimization-for-software-companies/

Feel free to email me and I'll review your website and email you a list of my thoughts/recommendations to improve conversions.
Scott U Send private email
Sunday, June 08, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics