* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How Much Time and Money Selecting Your Domain?

I am working on a new software project.  This is my dream project.  The one I have always wanted to do.  So,  maybe I am being too much of a perfectionist. 

I wanted a domain that went nicely with the project.  The domain had to be short, pronouncable, easy to understand, no explaining, no hyphens and only a .com    That criteria is very hard to find when registering a domain on godaddy for $12

I agonized over this decision for months and months, until finally I caved in and bought a dictionary english word in the domain aftermarket for $5,000. 

I am just curious what you other software guys do.
So my questions are:  How long do you usually take to pick your domain names?  And if you decide go domain aftermarket how much do you usually spend?
C. Stark Send private email
Monday, May 12, 2014

You're going to torture yourself if you find out everyone else spent $12.

Back when I got mine, I didn't have the money to do after market, but it was also 15 years ago, so domains weren't as scarce.  Still not totally in love with it, but...
Doug Send private email
Monday, May 12, 2014

"You're going to torture yourself if you find out everyone else spent $12."

It doesn't bother me if they are buying $12 domains.  Might bother me a little if they could all find great .coms for $12 and make up their minds in an hour though.
C. Stark Send private email
Monday, May 12, 2014

Have never gone aftermarket.  I usually spend a day or two thinking about domains and so-on and invariably try for a "brand" type domain rather than something keyword spammy.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Monday, May 12, 2014

It took me a long time and I registered 10-12 two-word .com domains that were related to the field I was interested in. I wasn't happy with any of them, but they were cheap and I hoped one would grow on me. Never happened.

Luckily for me, I was playing around with Web 2.0 style word fragments (.ly, .io, etc) and I suddenly found a pronounceable, six character .com that was available and related to my project, so I grabbed it.

If it wasn't for that sudden stroke of luck, there was a great backup domain in the after-market that cost a few thousand dollars, which I would have bought, as it was the only other one I liked.

This whole thing is strangely important. I guess many people would say in the days of Google, it doesn't really matter, but it mattered to me.
Scorpio Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Just bought a couple domain names for a new venture.

frenchsvp.com and learnfrenchsvp.com
(svp = short form for "please" in French. This will be a French learning site).

Took 10 minutes, cost $9/domain/year. People will have to learn what "svp" means, but given the nature of the site, it's not a significant downside and it might even help them remember the site name. 

Unless the domain name comes with built-in traffic, brand recognition or inherent prestige/trust, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fork out aftermarket prices. 

The only time I went to the aftermarket was because a domain name very close to my main domain name (your-translation.com vs your-translations.com) turned up on expired auction.
Sylvain Galibert Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

@Sylvain
Nice. I think frenchsvp.com is great for your intended use.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Don't forget to also:

(1) Google the intended name.
(2) Check Archive.org's history of it.
(3) Make sure it's not a registered trademark.
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

In my case it takes a long time to select the name. Obviously the ones you might think of tend to be gone.

I have not used aftermarket.

I own a few good single word ones, but I bought them all a long time ago.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I have paid $25,000 for a domain and while it may sound like a lot of money, I knew I would be making it back in a short time (and I did).

If the name is right for you, $5,000 is peanuts these days.
Jaywalker Send private email
Friday, May 16, 2014

Another complication that I forgot to mention earlier is that you need to ensure that the name is available, not just as a .com, but also on various social networks, like Twitter, etc.

It makes sense to register with your new on every social network, even if you don't intend to use them.
Saturday, May 17, 2014

I bought mine for $30,000

Thought about it for  6 months.
alexandar Send private email
Sunday, May 18, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics