* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Digital River-Symantec lawsuit

Hi everyone,

I came across this piece of news just now

It seems quite serious and it is likely that DR is going to lose this lawsuit. I am afraid it can cause bankruptcy to this processor.

If you sell through them, I would suggest to migrate ASAP, as you can kiss your money goodbye in case things get really bad for them.

I am looking to migrate to another provider. Any suggestions?

Jurgen Hunsicker Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
I'm using FastSpring.com for several years and am quite happy with them. Their support is very responsive.
jl Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
+1 FastSpring.

The lawsuit relates to the offering of an 'Extended download service' added to the basket at checkout time.

I know FastSpring and other processors give you the option of adding this to your store page - I wonder if this will affect things across industry?
DV Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Here's a plug for BMT Micro: http://www.bmtmicro.com Dead simple to use, nearly frictionless setup, and works flawlessly. I'm really surprised they are not more widely known/used.
Kevin Walzer Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
I've always thought 'download insurance' was dubious. Adding it by default to a basket is even worse.

Digital River have done much worse in the past through. Google "digital river reservation rewards".

Digital River are a shitty company. Looks like it is catching up with them:

I hope they go bust.

For an overview of payment processors see my survey:
It is a bit out of date. But might still be useful.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Veeeery interesting.  Thanks for posting!

I set up a FastSpring account after reading about them in here. 

I have not used the account yet because my website/software is not quite ready.  However, I can tell you their support has been extremely helpful and they have gone out of their way for me.  So far everything looks fantastic with them.

Regarding Digital River, I also remember reading about them on here and I was actually stunned that they would do the things they were accused of doing.  I would be horrified to have the e-commerce software add sneaky additional sales to my software sales that customers would obviously think I had done.  Sleazy and unethical.
Emily Jones Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
+1 FastSpring.
feelapi Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Another FastSpring client here.

We used to have element 5 as our e-commerce provider (still have it as a backup actually), but its QoS, by sheer coincidence, has been deteriorating ever since DR acquired it. To be completely fair, there is an effort to fix things going on right now, and I talked to people who seem to really care, but it all came a bit too late for us.

Beware that FastSpring is a relatively new player, so some advanced features are either missing, or incomplete/unpolished compared to what you may be used to, reseller management being one of them.

Otherwise, we've been happy with FastSpring so far.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, May 08, 2014
>has been deteriorating ever since DR acquired it

An all to familiar pattern!
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, May 08, 2014
+1 BMT Micro

Their level of personal attention and service is lightyears ahead of the DR company I previously used.
fisher Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014
I've been using Avangate for a couple of years now and am very happy with them.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014
PayProGlobal is good. I use their service from 2010.
The support speed is fantastic.
MatrixFailure Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014
Sure as hell don't use DR.
Back in ~2005 ShareIt was good. I returned to the shareware industry last year and ShareIt was horrible.

I made my first 18 sales with them and then fled screaming. Just a few issues:
- "manual screening" all the time. This means they call the customer or something like that to verify the transaction. This can take half a day or longer and I'm not even notified unless the customer writes me a complaint. I had to refund one transaction because of it and answer 2 other frustrated people after ticketing DR to find out what the hell is going on.
- overly complicated registration page. They ask for all details even if the user chooses to pay with PayPal. Just why?
- 19% VAT added on EU purchases. Sorry, I'm not subject to VAT as a micro-entrepreneur in my country. I guess this cannot be changed because they are the sellers in a legal sense, but still, I was losing sales because of this.
- even if the transaction completed, lots of their registration emails were lost. I can deliver emails with more success than that using a shared webhost. I can also redirect users to the download after the transaction has been done.
- high commission rate

I went to PayPal, built my own transaction processing and I'm happy with it, I had none of these problems in ~600 sales.
Zka Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

Thank you very much for your support.

Indeed, we put a lot of effort to keep our average response time under 30 minutes.
Valeriu Braghis Send private email
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Just today, in a moment of silliness, tried to buy a game from Ubisoft.

As the buying process transpired I saw the words "Digital River". Pretty much gave up at that point but continued anyway...

"Payment Authorisation Failed"

From Paypal, the same Paypal I used to order around a dozen items off ebay this month and some today, suddenly can't process a 10 euro transaction?

No, I'm not blaming Paypal. The moment I saw "Digital River" I knew they were going to screw it up. They did.

Most pathetic company ever.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
+1 PayProGlobal - very fast support and lower fees than FastSpring,  4.9%+$1 VS  5.9%+$.95

I know a lot of vendors who have switched to PayProGlobal recently.
BrutForce Send private email
Sunday, May 18, 2014
Anyone here still using Bluesnap? I've received an agreement update from them and it seems that from now on:
- they will not be resellers anymore
- developer is required to handle vat and other taxes
- developer handles invoices

For me this is the nail in the coffin, sent them an email to confirm this, but doubt I misunderstood it.
John Anon Send private email
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Is there are provider who makes at least some effort to fight chargeback? Today we had order charged back because the same card was used to buy from Woocommerce, which was hacked, and a lot of charges were reversed as fraudulent. The customer himself wrote us about this and confirmed they didn't want a chargeback.

Yet our current reseller doesn't bother to check anything - they just agree to any chargeback issued by the bank.

Is there any reseller that cares for their partner?
handzhiev Send private email
Thursday, May 22, 2014
(OMG, made so many typos. I guess I need to calm down)
Thursday, May 22, 2014
>>>>>Is there any reseller that cares for their partner?

Fighting chargebacks is a rather complex issue. It requires you to take certain steps to store data about your customers and your product usage. When a chargeback dispute is open, it is vital to provide this information to the reseller so that they manage the dispute with the bank.

Bottom line is that chargebacks require a two-way communication between the software vendor and the reseller.

At PayPro Global we consider the chargebacks as a common problem, as they inflict certain amount of damage upon us as well. Therefore we are more than interested to collaborate, and not only win disputes, but consult you to prevent chargebacks in the future.

You can also download our recent white paper on the topic to get more familiar with the steps required to avoid chargebacks:

I hope this helps. In case you would like to discuss further on the topic, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Valeriu Braghis Send private email
Friday, May 23, 2014
Thanks Valeriu, we are seriously considering your service. No one expects you to automatically win all chargebacks - not even to dispute all. But doing literally nothing like some of your competitors do, even when the chargeback is obvious mistake, is another matter.
Friday, May 23, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics