* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Picture Stats

I've been on this forum for many years but have never linked my account here with my main product so I've stayed fairly anonymous. (As much as I can be using my full name!) Anyway, over the last few years I've become more interested in photography as a hobby and have written a little application to analyse and graph the Exif information within the large photo libraries I'm now creating.

A few weeks ago I wondered whether anyone else would benefit from this application so set myself the task of seeing how comercially viable I could make this application with just two days of additional effort (i.e. about 20 hours of work). In this time I have tidied up the application, created an installer and produced a website.

It is currently a v0.9 release and available as a free download while I iron out a few issues and decide where to go from here. I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Product site here: http://picturestats.com
Adrian Lock Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
I used to be really quite into photography - but darned if I can see any need or reason for graphing the camera settings?

Digging into the site it says it can help with choosing new equipment? Mmm.

Certainly the #1 thing missing on the front page is the benefits. The visitor shouldn't have to dig into the site to find out. Things such as file formats covered are features, not benefits.

Try and figure out just what the benefits are, then put them front and center on the homepage.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
The web site is quick, modern clean, and lines line up, no complaints.

The program looks nice and seems to do something a bit more interesting than just look at tags of photos one by one as I currently do. I assume it must search all your paths for photos with metadata.

The blog about taking better photos is a perfect complement and smart for SEO. It might be possible to have a info pane next to the charts with built in expert commentary, or perhaps specific details based on the particular camera model, like how to override the automatic aperture setting and why you might want to.

This is probably a niche program, so I have no idea about the commercial possibilities.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
I agree with reluctant, there should be something upfront stating the benefits of the data being graphed.

Who will you be trying to market it at. People who know about the data and already can read it. Or people new to the data and trying to figure out how they can work the fancy expensive camera the just bought.

Not at a computer I can test the software on but from reading the more info page, can I select a single picture, and it tell me what settings were used to take that picture. That way I can reset my camera to the same settings.

If so that would be great. Sometimes I take a bunch of pictures and have to write down what modes were used so I can compare them on a larger screen later. Didn't know that the info may be in the image itself.

Personally don't see the point of a graph for casual use but if scanning through a library and  just being able to see what modes the 'good' pictures were taken with I can see of value.

It's not telling me what to 'buy' but how I can use what I already have.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
Tools that analyze the embedded GPS data in images would be a *lot* more interesting.  I have not seen many (any) utilities that mass analyze GPS data in images.

A tool that embedded GPS EXIF data points into images based upon the images' time stamps and an accompanying tracking log or GPX type file would be pretty cool.

I don't get the point of this utility either. Seeing a histogram of F stops or shutter speeds doesn't float my boat.
Profit and Loss Send private email
Saturday, May 10, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics